Why are there some people that get bad results after Cellfina?

Could it be the doctor's lack of experience or are these things just bound to happen to patients of even the most skilled doctors? Is it just bad luck?

Cellfina results

One of the most important aspects of treatment is assessment.  Choosing the right patient for a treatment is an absolute necessity to ensure optimal outcomes.  Cellfina is highly effective in treating primary cellulite, which results from fibrous bands pulling down on the skin and creating a dimpled appearance.  However, many patients have a different form of cellulite which results from textural irregularity.  Providers who attempt to treat textural cellulite with Cellfina will not yield great results, because there are no fibrous bands to target.  There are also areas that need to be avoided when using Cellfina, such as the banana roll area directly under the gluteal crease.  Treatment in this area could potentially lead to worsened contour.  There are areas that need to be avoided and some forms of cellulite that should not be treated with Cellfina.  However, when Cellfina is used in the right areas on appropriate candidates, we have found it to be a highly effective device.  As always, an in person consultation with your provider is the best way to ensure optimal outcomes.

Bad results with Cellfina?

Patient selection is critical with Cellfina.  A patient must have discrete dimples that can be targeted with the Cellfina device.  Cellfina uses a very small blade to sever the fibrous bands that result in the puckered appearance of cellulite.  If a patient has loose skin or is more concerned with a general "waviness" of skin from laxity, the Cellfina will not be effective.  Also, Cellfina is most effective when used on the FDA-cleared areas of the buttock and posterior thigh.  Our office has seen extremely impressive results with the procedure, but we perform a thorough examination of the area under different types of lighting to ensure for proper patient selection.  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina is great but sometimes correction cannot be complete

It depends by what you mean as a "bad" result. If you still have a crease under the buttock or a banana roll on the upper thigh that is because Cellfina cannot be used in those areas. Sometimes, in cases of very severe cellulite, it is simply not safe to try and remove all of the dimples because it might create wound complications. It's always best to discuss this with your doctor.

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina: getting the best results

Cellfina: getting the best resultsPatient and location choice always helps . Loose skin and areas such as the front of the thighs and banana roll are more difficult.  this is why I offer Cellfina Platinum,  to tighten the surrounding skin in most locationsCellfina is the newest, most effective FDA approved technology available for treating cellulite. This one-time, minimally invasive procedure takes only 45 minutes to perform, but the results last for a minimum of two years. Cellfina has the longest lasting results of any current cellulite treatment. Its approval rate is over 93% on RealSelf

Cellfina

The areas we have had trouble with are those where the skin is becoming to loose.  When the skin has to much laxity even if you reduce the Cellulite in the area you don't improve the skin in that area which frustrates patients and may make the skin seem more loose.

Bad results after Cellfina

The Cellfina technique to release the bands causing cellulite is pretty straightforward. It is probably most important for the treating physician to make a proper diagnosis and identify what they see as true cellulite. If the problem, for example, is skin laxity, Cellfina will not help this.

Paul M. Parker, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina results

It depends what you mean by "bad results". It could be that not all the bands were addressed. In other words, it is an incomplete result and releasing more bands would help. It could be that the person has a texture issue versus cellulite. Cellfina only fixes the cellulite bands. If your skin is loose and/or has texture issues, cellfina will not correct that. You would need a skin tightening procedure. Hope that helps!

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina results

The results from Cellfina depend on several factors.  The first and most important one is treating dimples that are likely to respond well, and that requires a good understanding of the anatomy that leads to cellulite. Matching expectations to what can realistically be achieved is also key.  Make sure that in your consultation your Plastic Surgeon spends the time to evaluate you well and you will be much more likely to achieve a 'successful' outcome.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina

Not exactly sure obviously, but certainly lack of training and lack of surgical experience come into play.  I was fortunate enough to get trained by my senior partner who has had it for several years, and I had 8 years of intense surgical training under my belt, so some basic surgical concepts that I know, are not grasped by nonsurgeons.  Not trying to toot my own horn, but training makes a difference. My patients have had zero pain and minimal bruising with outstanding results. And if they didn't I would offer them a revision.  It's important to truly understand the background of your treating doctor

Cain R. Linville, MD