Is the lollipop or anchor technique best for me?

I am 44 yo 5,3" 160 lbs. I wear a 36H. One PS told me that my breasts are very dense. He said there was very little sagging and that he would not have to move the nipple far. The problem with him is he only offers the keyhole or anchor technique and always performs nipple grafting. He said I would have drain tubes for three days. Another PS said i would be a good candidate for the lollipop procedure with no drain tubes and less scarring. All opinions are appreciated!

Lollipop or anchor technique

It would be in your best interest to review the before and after photos of the plastic surgeon's work whose opinion you are seeking.  I agree it would seem less likely and desirable to require a graft technique but without your photos I can not offer a definitive determination.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift options

Thanks for your inquiry, but if you posted a picture it is not showing up on our end.  Without a picture it is hard to advise in specific situation.  I am unsure why one surgeon automatically recommends nipple grafting. Vertical mastopexy can be performed often when the nipple areolar complex does not need to move that much.  Good Luck 

Breast lift technique

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to say without photos.  Either technique is good depending on some factors.  However, it is unlikely that you would need your nipple to be grafted, especially if it doesn't have to be moved far.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Type of breast lift

Which type of lift necessary is determined by many factors including the nipple position, degree of droopiness, shape, and degree of skin excess.

The plastic surgeon should perform the type of lift necessary that will give the patient their desired result with as minimal amount of scarring as possible.  Oftentimes more scarring is the trade-off for a better long-term result and is worth it.

Photographs would be helpful to better address your specific situation.

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction technique

Both ways can get you a nice result. I use both lollipop and "T" type incisions depending upon multiple factors. You would have to be seen in person. Good luck.

Conflicting advice

I would bet there is a misunderstanding with the first surgeon.  If you don't need your nipple moved very much, there is no way that you would require a free nipple graft.  Those should only be done in cases where the breasts are so big that in order to reduce them to an appropriate size, it would be impossible to keep the nipple alive without using it as a graft.  So, those two statements are contradictory.  As for the second surgeon, a lollipop incision may get the job done.  In my hands, I can control and get a better result with the anchor incision.  You never see the incision in your fold anyway and it heals beautifully if done correctly.  I would also pass along some advice I got from a wonderful plastic surgeon in Paris when she told me "Never sacrifice shape for a shorter incision".  I think she is 100% correct.  I would be willing to bet that if your bra size is a 36H, there is no way an anchor incision (Wise pattern skin incision) wouldn't get you the best result.  Oh- and I never use drains for breast reductions- I don't think most use them.  We could give you better advice if you provided photos.  Hope this helps!

Preference Between Lollipop and Anchor Lift

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Is the lollipop or anchor technique best for you

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? . Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.