Saggy boobs and back pain

Im 25 years old, im a 34DD. I hate my boobs, they are big, heavy, and saggy. My upper back hurts and i dont know what to do! Please help.

Candidate for Breast Lift with Reduction

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Saggy breasts and back pain

Step One: Got to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  There are many determining factors as to the correct surgery for you.  It sounds as if you are a candidate for a breast reduction through your insurance company, if you are going that route.  Your surgeon would discuss the amount of tissue to be removed and the technique to be used.  Your surgeon can also determine about what cup size you would wear after your surgery.  Some insurance companies have determining criteria that must be followed, such as amount of breast tissue to be removed,  Your physical exam is also a determining factor.  Supporting letters from primary care physician and/or chiropractor will help your case if submitting to your insurance company.

Saggy Boobs and Back Pain

Photos would have been helpful.  But it sounds like you might need a breast reduction and a lift to alleviate your problems.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing a breast reduction. With it, you will be lifted and reduced to decrease the weight on your neck and shoulders.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Saggy boobs and back pain

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point; best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding. “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces AND lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (in other words, the breasts are "automatically" lifted when a breast reduction is performed). By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. Best NOT  to communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size; this type of communication can be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures during this communication phase;  many patients wish to remove enough breast tissue to improve/alleviate symptoms while maintaining upper/lower body proportionality. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps.

Breast Reduction/ Lift

It sounds as if you would benefit from a breast reduction or lift. A reduction reduces the overall size of the breast, AND provides a position lift. A breast lift will not address size issues but can improve the position. Due to your description of them being "big and heavy" and causing back pain,  it seems as if you would likely benefit from a breast reduction. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon