Can microneedling using platelet rich plasma help improve breast lift scars? What other techniques can be used?

Microneedling with PRP

If you are unhappy with your breast lift scars, it is important that you wait at least 6months to make sure that the scars have matured enough.  Remember that they will continue to change for even a year following surgery and further intervention may not even be required.  That said, microneedling can help to improve these and other scars.  The addition of platelet rich plasma is unlikely to do anything more than microneedling alone except lighten your wallet.  While there may be some advantages in using PRP in certain medical circumstances, I don't believe there is any science behind its use in the treatment of skin scars.

Dr. L

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many ways to improve scars. There are also many devices that claim to improve scars with little data. Micro needling itself will improve scars. The combination with PRP may help improve scars but I do not believe there is sufficient information to support all of the claims of PRP. In the future we may have more information available. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

There are many options available to help minimize scarring.  Laser treatments are often effective, as are products such as silicone sheeting.  We have found favorable results from using Embrace to help with scarring.  Speak with your plastic surgeon about options best for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast scar improvement

Yes, I suppose micro needling is likely to improve most breast scars, but I would argue that platelet rich plasma is a treatment looking for a disease to treat.  Other than those two, there is a host of other possibilities including laser and scar revision procedures.Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD