Is it possible to recement a crown back in place with the old tooth stuck inside it?

My crown came off upon impact along with the cap , I still have the crown and I'm wondering is it possible to stick it back in and if not how long the procedure may take to fix it?

Broken tooth in #crown #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
Most of the time, a crown can be re-cemented if the tooth structure under it is not fractured.  The cost to have this done would be minimal. If your tooth is fractured and enough tooth structure remains, a post and new crown would be recommended. And in some cases, removing the tooth and replacing it with an implant or bridge would be recommended. See your dentist as soon as possible for a complete evaluation. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Broken tooth Inside Crown

Why it may be possible for the crown to be re cemented temporarily it will not last long.  There is a reason the tooth broke whether it was trauma or decay (an xray would be needed to determine) and a crown with a broken tooth inside will not have properly sealed margins (the crown will not fit correctly) and you will continue to get cavity and run the risk of losing the tooth completely.

Carolina Steier, DMD
Boca Raton Dentist

Broken Tooth Inside Crown

You are fine to have it cemented back on, but it is likely not going to last very long.  Have your dentist give you a long term treatment plan as to how the tooth should be restored if this is an option.