Do I need Root Canal after Cavity filling?

I just recently for cavity filling done. My dentist initially said I may need root canal, but she did cavity filling instead. Last week when I went to get crown, I still had pain, then she said I may need root canal, but she went ahead with crown. Now after a week it still hurts, bite also needs to be adjusted and I may need to get a root canal. But my questions is do I need to pay her for root canal as well? I aleady paid her for cavity filling which did not work.

Root canal

root canals can needed anytime that you work on a tooth.  In your case it seems that the dentist tried to be conservative and just do a filling in a cavity that was close to the nerve.   As for fees, those are separate from the original filling fee.    Most of the time , your dentist will apply the filling fee towards the more expensive procedure as a courtesy .Your tooth will not feel better prior to your bite adjustment and root canal and new crown.  The procedure should take about 2 hours , from start to finish and with cad cam dentistry, they should be able to make your final crown In one visit

Beverly Hills Dentist

Root canal after #crown?

Hello there,
I would recommend returning to your dentist for a follow up. It is important that your bite be even and that you are not hitting on a particular tooth harder than the others. A bite that is off can cause chewing pain, jaw pain, headaches and other issues. It sounds like your dentist removed a cavity that was close to the pulp (nerve) and prepped your tooth for a crown. Your dentist will continue to monitor your tooth and if symptoms persist then a root canal will be recommended.  If this is the case, you would be expected to pay the cost of the root canal. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions. 

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Cavity filling and need of root canal.

Sometimes removing the cavities you can get close to the pulp, it will depend on the size of the cavity, and pulp chamber if has been affected /reached by the cavity. On a regular basis the patient is informed that after removing the cavity your tooth may get sensitive for a short period of time. If pain is still present "pulp capping" or simply a root canal theraphy is indicated.  
Cavity filling is performed after removal of caries, if nerve has been affected previously or just removing the caries that was too close to pulp/nerves made you feel pain doesnt mean that your filling didnt work. 

Jose Alonso, MD, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist