Dermapen or Fraxel laser? (Photo)

I'm 34 year old female with acne scarring from cystic acne that I had a few years back. I have quite pale skin but I seem to scar and mark quite easily. I was researching both Dermapen and ipixel Fraxel laser treatments and I'm still very confused as to which would be best for my skin. I hear Fraxel is great but there is an increased risk of hyperpigmentation and I'm concerned due to my skin type. Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Laser vs micro needling

If you have fair skin, Fraxel is the better option, namely the Co2 Re:Pair over the 1550. Having said that, I do prefer energy based RF micro needling - ie. INFINI RF. Why? Because less downtime, better results and less side effects. I usually combine this with PRP in the one sitting. 
Fraxel 1550 has less chances of skin pigmentation, but it is not as good for scar compared the CO2 Fraxel. The chances of INFINI RF giving PIH or skin colour changes are extremely slim, especially in your skin type. Note- you will also require subscision and filler for the remaining scars after laser. 
All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologist Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Dermapen or Fraxel laser?

Fraxel® laser treatment is a more computerized, microscopic version of microneedling, which is the technology behind the Dermapen®. Both treatments effectively treat acne scars in all skin types if performed by an expert in a board-certified dermatology office. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatology for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Acne scarring

Fraxel restore is a more aggressive and effective approach to acne scarring.  Typically it takes 4-5 high energy treatments to see significant improvement.  You also may benefit from fillers in stubborn scars or from application of a strong acid like TCA.  
The fraxel 1550 is an extremely safe laser, with minimal risk of scarring or pigmentary changes.  As always, be sure you are in the hands of an experienced doctor.

Elise Barnett, MD
Montgomery Dermatologist

Microneedling vs. Fraxel for Acne Scarring

Both microneedling and Fraxel can help stimulate collagen and improve acne scarring, albeit through different mechanisms. Between the two, Fraxel is generally the more aggressive route, however I personally like to tackle acne scarring with a combination of both within the same session for the most improvement possible.

When the appropriate settings are used for each skin type, the risk of hyperpigmentation post-Fraxel is very small. However, you would certainly know your skin best, and if you are feeling uneasy in regards to hyperpigmentation, you may want to look into eMatrix, a non-laser resurfacing method. eMatrix utilizes radiofrequency energy, which does not heat up the surface of the skin, therefore there is virtually no risk of hyperpigmentation. Just like with Fraxel, microneedling can immediately follow an eMatrix treatment.

Bear in mind that depending on the severity, acne scars can take time to improve, and you will need multiple sessions regardless of which treatment(s) you decide upon. A board certified Dermatologist can evaluate your skin in person, and better determine which route may be best for you. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring requires a combination of lasers, fillers, microneedling/PRP, TCA cross for improvement. Fraxel does very well for acne scarring, but a combination approach is most successful. I suggest seeing an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.