Why have I bulging veins all over my forehead? (Photos)

Ok, so I don't know if this is just me looking in the mirror too much or that it could be an underlying issue but in the past year I've noticed that I have a very large temple vein running from the side of my temple on the right up to my hairline at the ride hand side of my face in the temple area, is there anything I can do to get this treated? I won't even smile in photos anymore because it has me so self conscious as it's quite noticeable. Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Microphlebectomy

Some people have prominent facial veins especially in the forehead area.  Typically these veins are large and patients get the best cosmetic result when the veins are removed through small incisions called a microphlebectomy.

Atlanta Physician

Temporal veins

What your picture depicts is a temporal vein which is a very common problem.  This can easily be treated by sclerotherapy or removal through tiny (micro incisions). This is an office procedure done under local anesthesia. The vein appears too large to be treated by laser or fine needle RF.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Forehead and Temple "Veins"

Usually these are superficial arteries and not veins and can be quite prominent in athletic and thin people.
There is no treatment short of surgical removal.
They are easily diagnosed with ultrasound or simply pressing on the "vein" which demonstrates pulsatility.

Christopher Pittman, MD
Tampa Phlebologist

What to do about temple veins

Temple veins are almost always a cosmetic concern and not indicative of an underlying medical condition.  They can be easily treated by sclerotherapy (injections), but should be done by an expert.  One of the critical distinctions that must be made by your doctor is whether the vessel you have is truly a vein and not an artery.  The artery on the side of the temple, also known as the superficial temporal artery, is sometimes visible - it can be distinguished from a vein as the artery will have a pulse that may be felt and sometimes seen.  Injection of the artery would be disastrous...but this is rare. Injection of the vein is relatively safe as long as it is done carefully.  Other possible treatments for temple veins include using an external 1064 YAG laser (with adequate skin cooling), as well as sometimes actually taking out the veins through tiny incisions (microphlebectomies).  In our practice we predominantly do sclerotherapy for such veins, with excellent results.  You should be aware that 2-3 treatments may be needed.  The good news is - there's hope!  Best of luck.

Forehead veins

it is common to have forehead veins and sometimes they can become more noticeable as we age and our skin becomes thinner. They can treated very easily (1-2) treatments with an ND:Yag laser to essentially shrink the vein and it becomes less noticeable. The treatment only takes a few minutes. You will wear protective Google during your treatment. Veins inside the bone where your eye sits are not easy to treat u less an eye shield is used -- even then, it should be done with by someone who is experienced.