Is having a cyst like lump normal to have after chalazion surgery?

After I had my chalazion surgery, I was left with a small lump on my top eyelid where my cyst had been. With closer inspection, if I pull back the skin to let the lump surface it seems to be a white colour. A lot like the colour of my cyst that had been there. My cyst was quite big (bigger than a pea) and I had the cyst for three months. The lump I have now is a lot smaller but it looks like the beginnings of how the cyst started in the first place. The removal of the cyst was only 5 days ago.

Healing after chalazion surgery

The small lump is most likely related to the healing after incision and drainage of the chalazion. This thickened area is likely to resolve spontaneously - but may take some time. Over the next few weeks, you should notice continued improvement. See you surgeon for follow up, so that he/she may advise you about your progress. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after chalazion drainage

Absolutely normal!!! The surgery on the chalazion drains the more fluid part leaving behind the more solid "wall" of the "cyst".  Over months your body will dissolve the wall which is made up of scar tissue created by the inflammation.  What you are experiencing is to be expected and I hope you heal well.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is impossible to practice medicine through these posts.

You need to get a second opinion.  What you are describing can be normal after chalazia surgery and may reflect a healing eyelid.  Or it may reflect an incompletely excised chalazia.  Generally, I do not recommend chalazia surgery unless the lesion has failed injection with the corticosteroid kenalog.  In 20 years of practice, I seldom find a chalazia that does not respond to a kenalog injection.  I suspect you may still benefit from that.