Am I a good candidate for lip filler/injections? (photo)

I have always been fairly happy with my bottom lip, however I feel like my top lip is too narrow/thin and throws my features out of balance. I would be interested in knowing if an upper lip injection would improve the aspect, or if the final effect would be too round and appear more narrow overall.

Start with a mild enhancement to see if a fuller top lip satisfies your desired look

You have a beautiful mouth shape and a full bottom lip. If you are unhappy with the size of your top lip, then you may consider a lip filler injection. You should consult a skilled facial plastic surgeon, who has extensive experience with injectables. Using a hyaluronic based lip injectable can create fullness into the top lip and better define the shape of the upper lip. It is important that you do not over inject the top lip, as you want to maintain the natural shape and proportion of your mouth. Lip injections last 4-6 months, so it is not a permanent procedure. You may choose to start with a mild enhancement to see if a fuller top lip satisfies your desired look. You can always ask for a more noticeable enhancement the next time.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may be a good candidate for lip fillers.

From your photo and the information you’ve provided, you may be a good candidate for lip fillers. As you’ve mentioned, it’s important to keep in mind that the natural balance and proportions of your facial features should be maintained when considering injectable fillers. If you’re unhappy with the thinness of your upper lip in proportion to your bottom lip, mild injections to the upper lip could help to correct this imbalance. Be sure to choose a skilled, board-certified cosmetic surgeon who can deliver subtle, natural-looking results. Best of luck!

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Lip Filler

Hi there Isoot589

Thanks for your post.

Lip fillers provide an effective temporary solution to help volumize your lips. Dermal filler injections add volume to the lips and typically last around 4-6 months. In some cases duration of the effects can be a bit shorter or longer. It would be best to start with these, to get a feel for how big you want to go. Then you may want to go on to a more permanent solution.

Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to your desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.

Make sure you find a qualified and experienced surgeon.

Fillers

You should start out with 1cc of filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Yes everyone is a candidate for lip fillers but the amount and contouring that is needed is very personalized.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler

Based on your goals, you may want to consider a dermal filler. Temporary dermal fillers may provide you with your desired results with minimal discomfort and recovery times. I recommend you book a consultation with a qualified injector, to ensure you're a good candidate for this procedure.

Take care.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Done conservatively and with respect to your natural upper lip shape I think you can obtain a nice, natural-appearing lip fullness.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon to start conservatively with filler placement.