What Can I Do to Improve my Hooded Eyelids? (photo)

I'm 21 and I find my eyelids to be too hooded, and I look like I have already 40! My mother has the same hooded eye, so as my father. What is the best procedure I can have to get rid of some skin on my eyelid? It is laser a good option? Would you suggest me to wait some years? Thank you

What Can I Do to Improve my Hooded Eyelids?

At 21, there's little chance that the upper eyelid hooding is due to excess skin.  far more likely that the eyebrows are low.  I have performed Brow Lifts for 27 year olds but not as young as you at 21.  Best to see an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon for evaluation and consultation on what's possible.

See an expert in eyelid and facial surgery

Thank you for sharing your question, because many patients have your concerns. Eyelids can be hooded at any age. They tend to worsen as we age. From your photographs, it appears that a slight amount of skin could be removed from your upper lids. Make sure to see an oculoplastic surgeon who believes in under correcting the problem, so that you don't look "fake" after the surgery.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Management Of Periorbital Aging

Facial aging affects the entire face, but nowhere is it more noticeable than the area around the eyes. Aging of the soft tissue in this area not only makes us look older, but can change how we're perceived. Excess eyelid skin can make us look tired and less energetic, while brow descent can make us look serious and even angry. For these reasons, brow lift and blepharoplasty are commonly requested cosmetic procedures.

Your pictures suggest mild brow descent and minimal excess eyelid skin. In someone who's only 21, the risk benefit ratio of surgical correction should be carefully considered. It's essential that the pros and cons of surgical intervention be thoroughly understood. Although surgery could be undertaken to correct your anatomic deformity, it might be better to delay surgery until you're older.

For these reasons, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your age, anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Congenital Eyelid Hooding

There are a few options out there for your situation: non invasive procedures, such as Botox, or an actual surgery like a blepharoplasty, are both fixes for hooded eyes. Since you are still so young I would probably just do a slight lift with Botox, which is enough to give that soft natural look. However, it is always best to set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon where you can go over all your concerns and they can see in person what is going on. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative skin only blepharoplasty

Firstly, you should understand that you have very attractive and youthful eyes/eyebrows. And it is unusual to have a blepharoplasty at such a young age. But as part of your normal anatomy, you DO have  hereditary eyelid fullness that is bothersome to some people.

Personally, my preference is avoid surgery in young, attractive patients, as the risk to benefit ratio is too high. However, I've had a few young patient's that were very unhappy with this anatomy, and after having a good discussion with them regarding risks of surgery and possible changes  to the overall look, have offered blepharoplasty with excellent patient satisfaction. I have provided the link to the before and after photos of a similar patient. She was a 22 year old woman who wanted to be able to wear eye makeup for her wedding, and was thrilled with the final post op result.

If you like the outcome of that patient  [link below], you could consider a conservative SKIN ONLY blepharoplasty. You should NOT have any fat or muscle removed! You would risk a very hollow upper eyelid as you get older.

Be absolutely sure with your decision before taking the plunge, and don't ever let a surgeon talk you into a procedure that you are not comfortable with.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hooding at a young age

You do have some hooding but it is very mild.  This most likely is due to a combination of some brow droop and mild excess of skin.  At your age I would hold off on a browlift unless you do modeling for a living.  You may consider doing nothing or a very conservative upper blepharoplasty.  Another option is to try Botox to lift the brow slightly but the effect lasts only 3-5 months. 

Clyde H. Ishii, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps blepharoplasty but a consultation for your unique case and to understand risks is necessary

Age in the case of some elective surgeries for cosmetic reasons (as long as the person is a legal adult of course) may not be the most important factor as it may be more of a question of how your results will make you feel, especially if they will significantly increase your confidence and perceived effectiveness in social life and career.  In most cases, the surgical intervention for this type of problem would be blepharoplasty but you always need a consultation with your doctor before determining what is available for your unique history and desired results.  You will also need to understand the risks of this type of surgery, important information also conveyed during your consultation.

Michael E. Jones, MD

Even at your young age I see the hooding effect. As long as you FULLY understand the risk/benefit ratio of upper lid blepharoplasty than you could have this operation. 

Early Hooding Likely From Brow Ptosis

Early brow ptosis from congenital forehead shape can leade to early eyelid hooding.  In young patients like yourself, dysport or botox for brow shaping can elevate brow postion and give your eyes a fressher look.  It will not completely correct your hooding but it will improve it slightly in a safe, non-surgical way.  If you like the results, you may want to consider and upper blepharoplasty with a brow pexy.  If you treat the hooding with only a blepharoplasty, you are not treating the cause...brow hooding.  You are likely to have clean eyelids but a tired look to your eyes.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Familial eyelid hooding

Your upper eyelids are full (youthful) but with a lower than usual fold which you inherited from your parents.  The upper lid skin does not touch your lashes so you probably can wear make up in the area without developing smudges.

If the position of the fold is a bother, you can have a conserative portion of the upper lid skin removed to give a more opened appearance.  Request that your surgeon not remove any fat so that your youthful appearance is preserved.

Good luck! 

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon