Right Eye is Smaller Than my Left - How Should I Correct This?(photo)

my right eye has always looked smaller than my left. What would be the best way to correct this or just make them look even. I'm 30 years old.

Doctor Answers 10

Management of Orbital Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are multiple anatomic abnormalities that can result in facial asymmetry. These may include deformities of the orbital bones, eyelid soft tissue and eyebrows. In most cases, they are relatively minor, but in some cases, they may be severe and extremely noticeable. Depending upon the deformity, treatment may or may not be possible. Although, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on from your pictures, I suspect you have boney orbital asymmetry. In addition, you appear to have minimal eyelid ptosis and a depressed eyebrow.

Asymmetry of the facial bones can be a major contributor to facial asymmetry. When this occurs, it's not unusual to have one side of the face that has a depressed orbital rim and flattened cheekbone and an eye that appears smaller than the opposite side. This is often related to a condition called plagiocephaly.

When this situation arises, it's possible in some cases, to disguise asymmetry. Unfortunately, it's not possible to correct the boney deformity without major surgery. In this case, a unilateral brow lift in combination with an eyelid ptosis repair are both possible options. If you're considering treatment, it's important that you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you with this decision.

Uneven eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many different situations can lead to uneven eyelids. Some of these can be treated non-surgically and conservatively, even using some very advanced injection techniques with filler or very precise placement of Botox. Some situations truly do require surgery to resolve. 

It is important that you seek a consultation with an eyelid expert to delineate the exact cause and treatment options.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut

#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Probable ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You probably have a ptotic (droopy) right upper eyelid which can easily be repaired with one of a few methods. There is the possibility that your left eye is bulging forward. You should make an appointment for consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon who can thoroughly evaluate your problem and propose a treatment plan. 

Asymmetry or Ptosis or Proptosis of the other side ...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Josy

Everyone has one eye smaller than the other but it could also be weakness of the muscle on that side or protrusion of the eye on the other side. It is difficult to tell from the photos. The best way to proceed is to get a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in the eyes and find out what the options are. Best of luck with it. 

Haideh Hirmand, MD/FACS

Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon/New York City

Haideh Hirmand, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Ptosis right eye....or bulgy left eye!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photos, its impossible for us to know if its the right eye that is droopy, or possibly your LEFT eye is bulgy....or it could be a combination of the two.

Its important to have a consultation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon to fully evaluate these possibilities.

You can find one close to you by clicking on the link I provided below.

Good luck.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Eyelid sagging on one side needs an upper eyelid reconstructive repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Upper lid droopy appearance can be caused by:

  1. excess of skin in the upper lid itself and/or the presence of fat pads
  2. brow ptosis (ie. sagginess)
  3. lid ptosis (ie. sagginess)

It seems in your case that your upper lid itself is saggy and would require perhaps a levator aponeurosis advancement.  Levator is the muscle responsible for lifting your upper lid.  Again, a one-on-one consultation with a qualified surgeon is required for a formal assessment.

Make sure you see a qualified surgeon for this issue.  Best of luck!  Dr. Marc Dupere, Toronto Plastic Surgeon, board-certified.

Marc DuPéré, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 71 reviews

Asymmetric eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Asymmetric eye appearance could be due to multiple factors. Your right upper eyelid is more droopy (ptosis) than the left side. The eye itself may also be more sunken that the left side (or left side is more bulgy than the right side).  The treatment will depend on the exact problem. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a science

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question. The photos are limited and I will answer the best that I can. Everyone has some asymmetry which makes us unique. You can improve this by measuring a crease in your eyelids to get a better match. Good luck with your procedure...Thomas Narsete  Austin, Tx

Asymmetrical eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 It  appears from the photographs that  you may have ptosis of  your right eye.   Ptosis repair is best treated by an oculoplastic surgeon which can be done as a stand-alone procedure  or it can be combined cosmetic eyelid surgery

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

You have mild upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This can be corrected with ptosis surgery.  Generally your best bet is to see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon for help with this.  In Oregon, you have some excellent options.  Consider using the geographic directory on the ASOPRS website to help find someone with the right credentials.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.