Ima 21 Year Old Woman with Embarrasingly Large Nipples? (photo)

Im 21 years old with 34b breasts. but my nipples are very big and I find it embarrassing. I don't feel comfortable naked and have to wear padded bras all the time so they don't show through my clothes. also sometimes my areolas can slip out of my bra which is very embarrassing and has happened at work before. Is there any surgery I could undergo?

Doctor Answers 2

Ima 21 Year Old Woman with Embarrasingly Large Nipples?

Nipple reduction is an excellent procedure for the patient suffering from prominent nipples. This procedure can reduce the height and width of the nipple, usually preserving sensation. It can be done under local anesthesia or in combination with other procedures (under general anesthesia).
I like to use the “sleeve” technique to reduce the height of the nipple. This procedure leaves the core of the nipple intact preserving nerves and lactiferous ducts. The suture line generally heals very nicely in this area. The width of the nipple can be reduced by removing a triangular segment from the tip area.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,499 reviews

Large areolas and prominent nipples: possible solutions

Hello Emmy,

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to seek advise for a large areola and/or prominent nipples, although often patients become conscious following pregnancies and breast feeding. The solutions range from areola reduction (doughnut technique) to mastopexy (breast uplift) if the breast appear low and has a significant amount of skin laxity; with regards to the prominent nipples, nipple reduction is available and leaves a negligible residual scarring. Bare in mind that this might affect your ability of breast feed.

I would advice you to see a qualified plastic surgeon who will guide you to identify the right solution for your specific case.

Best of luck.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.