Will a chemical peel help reduce my old self inflicted scars? (Photos)

I have old self harm scars from a time where I was depressed. It happened only 2 times and I vowed never to do it again. The scars themselves are somewhat long but not raised. They are thin cuts so they mostly look like scratch marks, with the exception of two that are brownish in color. I would really like to get rid of these scars, thank you.

Microneedling with PRP to improve the appearance of scars

Hi Lalachas,

I would recommend microneedling. Microneedling is a process used for deep scar treatment that is minimally invasive. Through the use of a medical device with fine needles attached, micro-needling for scars works to promote skin rejuvenation through a controlled injury technique. This means that the fine needles attached to the micro-needling device create miniature punctures allowing for channels to open under the skin. These puncture wounds, while small, prompt the body to produce collagen and elastin to fill them. Scar treatment through micro-needling is effective because skin texture and firmness improve due to the rejuvenation after the procedure. Best to you, Dr Faraz

Chemical peels to treat scars on arm

Your scars seem to have two components to them - darker discoloration (hyperpigmentation) and collagen changes.  Bleaching creams and chemical peels might would help improve the hyperpigmentation.  However, they would not alter the collagen changes very much.  For those, consider silicone gel or sheets and Vbeam, microneedling, or possibly fractional resurfacing.

Lawrence Osman, MD