Facial hair growth on skin graft. Any suggestions? (photos)

Im having a skin graft around my philtrun due highspeed motorcycle accident, I don't know how deep the wound is but it doesn't penetrate, my question is will I ever grow mustache on the skin graft, and will it grow the way my mustache used to (smooth facial hair right in the middle of the philtrum and strong mustache hair on philtrum sides)

Skin graft hair transplant

If the hair follicles were damage during your injury, then the hair will be absent.  However, once the skin graft heals, it is possible to transplant hair into that area to help remake your mustache.

Hair transplant into skin graft

Once the skin graft has healed ie 8-12 months, then consult an experienced hair transplant surgeon about planning to have a beard hair transplanted into the skin graft.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have issues after an accident, it may take up to 6 months for the scar to heal completely heal. It will take

If you have issues after an accident, it may take up to 6 months for the scar to heal completely heal.  Hairs may not grow on the area and you may have to wait up to 12 months to find out.  If you are concerned it is best to see a doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Facial hair growth on skin graft

The results in such areas are usually not encouraging. And your expectation is quite high which may not be possible to achieve with this procedure..

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

A skin graft from a hair bearing area may grow hair but a traditional skin graft would not.

If your doctor is willing to move a graft from your beard area to the upper lip then you could grow hair without a hair transplant but this is not a common site of donor skin grafts. They are often times taken from the collar bone area or behind the ear. A transplant is possible after the skin graft is healed, at least 6-12 months. You drew a very thick line on your photo which obscures the detail of the injured area. I'm wondering why you couldn't just do the hair transplant without removing the underlying scar? It doesn't appear to distort your lips or mouth. You can use either beard hair from the lower neck or scalp hair for a mustache transplant.

Jennifer Krejci, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

Facial hair growth on skin graft. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately hair will not grow in the skin graft unless you transplant hair into it. It would definitely have to wait until the skin graft healed. The best option in my opinion is the beard hair followed by scalp hair.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Moustache Restoration

Once healed, the best course of action would be to use beard hair as a donor region to restore the hair over the scar.  

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Skin graft

This will not grow hair. It may support a hair transplant or you can simply get scalp micropigmentation to it and make it look like hair

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon