I Smoked Weed Last Night, and my Nose Surgery is Tomorrow. Will This Affect the Surgery in Any Way?

I wont lie i am pretty heavy on the weed. I do it like almost every other day. and i smoked last night and i forgot i have nose surgery tomorrow.

Pot smoking before rhinoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This should not affect results of rhinplasty, unless, of course you were smoking weed with your surgeon.  THAT could be a problem.

Joking aside, you should let your anesthesiologist know what recreational drugs you take and when, as it may affect the drugs she/he will use for your anesthesia

Smoking marijuana before and after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. You should absolutely consult with your physician about your smoking habits in order to obtain the most reliable and individualized medical advice. It's best to avoid smoking for at least two weeks prior to rhinoplasty. This applies not only to conventional cigarettes, but also to marijuana. Also make sure to avoid smoking marijuana for at least two weeks after surgery as it may interfere with your healing process. Smoking after surgery may restrict the flow of blood to the healing areas, exacerbate swelling, and prolong recovery.  I'd recommend to consult with your plastic surgeon as he or she may have different guidelines for smoking. 

An in-person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to fully assess your needs and address your concerns. Best of luck!

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

You "forgot" about your surgery?

So you admit you "forgot" something as important as your own surgery? Well, that suggests that smoking weed may cause you to forget other important things, like not eating after midnight before your anesthetic, avoiding aspirin, and following post-op care instructions.

"I forgot" is not a valid excuse for causing bleeding requiring re-operation, driving while under the influence of narcotics (or weed), or just doing something that could ruin your results. It's a big deal!

I'd recommend cancelling surgery until you can properly follow (and remember) all instructions. That means stopping marijuana use entirely. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon