How Much Does a Facelift Cost?

i cant seem to find any where how much it costs to get a face lift.  can the doctors give me estimates or ranges of cost to expect from a traditional face lift please?

Price of a Facelift - Things to Consider Before Making a Permanent Change to Your Face

Please do not select a plastic surgeon based on finding low prices. My facelift before & after gallery (link below) will give you an idea about how different facelifts are based on the needs of individuals.  

There are many, many ways low priced surgeons "cut corners"  to make prices low, but you really don't want to cut corner when it comes to your health, or a permanent change made to your face. Discounted facelifts will often look like facelifts.  The results of a facelift from a plastic surgeon with expertise, patience and attention to detail will often not look like surgery at all, and instead, just make people look younger, fresher and rejuvenated. That is my goal when providing facial rejuvenation. 

Please view my videos on facelifts  (on my website and on Realself) including assessing before and after photos when selecting a surgeon for a facelift

I prefer the term 'facial rejuvenation' over the more antiquated term 'facelift', as many patients that I see who seek a more youthful and refreshed facial appearance undergo a set of surgical procedures very different from what would have been considered a 'facelift' twenty-five years ago.
The word 'rejuvenation' means, literally, 'to make young again'. In each individual, different facial changes occur with age. One person may be unhappy with 'baggy eyelids', while another has 'droopy eyebrows'. One person may be troubled by 'jowls' in the lower face, while another would like an improvement in their 'floppy neck'.
Surgical treatment of facial aging changes must therefore be carefully individualized to match each patient's aesthetic needs and desires. No two 'facelifts', by necessity, are the same. In helping a patient to make decisions about plastic surgery for facial rejuvenation, I always examine and assess how each aesthetic area or 'unit' of the face contributes to an individual's overall appearance: the brows and eyelids, the cheeks or 'midface', the lower face and chin, and the neck. An individualized surgical plan is then developed which addresses each patient's specific concerns and needs.

The following are a few things that can distinguish some facelift surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be bord certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

Therefore, the price of a facelift will depend on exactly what each person needs and the time required to perform surgery. To select a plastic surgeon, take your time researching , visiting websites, view many, many before and after photos and speak to former patients. 
Beware of doctors who discount their fees. Discounting the value of professional services, especially surgery, is not good marketing - it is a sign of desperation. The best plastic surgeons are still busy in this contracting economy, and they are not discounting their fees. At the same time, the most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the most talented, so as a consumer you still have to research this carefully. There is much more to consider than just the price in dollars that you pay: is your surgeon actually listening to you, do they truly understand the appearance that you hope to achieve, do you feel that he or she will be easily available and attentive once the surgery has been performed. If you don't have a good feeling, don't stick around to 'save money', go somewhere else.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift cost range is $7,500 to $50,000

You get one shot at a facelift. If it is not done properly, you will look pulled and done.

Patients cannot just "get a bad facelift redone. " Except in the most expert of hands, and only in some circumstances, revising those failures of the first procedure will not be possible until enough loose skin again generates enabling a repair.

There is a generation of women who must now live with the stigma of the "quickie facelift", its wide painful scars, deformed ears, and a very pulled look, not to mention the poor rejuvenation of the neck and jawline.

DO NOT SKIMP on your facelift. See the best surgeons and do it right.

Depending on the complexity of the facelift, the ancillary procedures performed, and the reputation of the surgeon, the procedure can typically cost anywhere from $7,500 to $50,000 by an esteemed facelift expert performing many ancillary procedures in addition to the facelift.

Many patients have discovered that when they compare mini facelifts done in clinics to mini facelifts done by a known doctor, the prices are very similar!  Experienced doctors often do their surgeries more efficiently, using less operating room time.  An experienced facelift expert is gentler with the patient's delicate tissues than a novice or poorly trained surgeon.

Aftercare is important as well, as is the preoperative workup.  A doctor who carefully checks for problems like hypertension before the surgery will not be surprised afterward by bad bruising and prolonged healing.

So when comparing cost, the patient should consider all these factors.  But RealSelf readers most likely already know all this!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Facelift Cost

A full facelift has quite a few components.  The facelift usually helps correct the aging processes of the lower face, the upper face (not including the brows or eyelids), and the neck.   The price for a full facelift probably runs from $8000 to $20,000 or more.  Less involved procedures such as minifacelift with shorter scars and less dissection would be less.  In addition, isolated neck lifts would be less.  Keep in mind that a browlift and upper and lower eyelid surgery can add at least $5000 to the cost.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift Costs in Florida!

The term Facelift usually describes a lifting procedure of the Cheeks and Neck including tightening the covering of the muscle layer called the SMAS to improve and prolong the result. It usually does not include the forehead lift/brow lift , eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty), dermal fillers, laser, or fat grafting.

If you notice improvement in the mirror when lifting the cheeks with your fingers and the neck with your thumbs, this is probably what you need.

The good news is today's Facelift should give a dramatic result and be natural in appearance because of improvements in the technique.

Keep in mind that rejuvenation of the face is different in each patient since often more than one area may be involved.  Sometimes a Facelift may be combined with a brow lift or eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty) in order to get the best result.  I often add fat grafting and fractional CO2 laser to my facial rejuvenation procedures because it greatly improves the overall result.  This can add to the cost so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  More importantly make sure you are looking at the costs in the right light.  Remember, this is your face and you want the best care possible, not the least expensive.

The cost of a Facelift in my practice in southwest Florida is approximately 8000 dollars which includes the operating room charges and anesthesia fees. Remember that when you obtain a quote over the phone, sometimes you hear only the surgeons fee. Also many patients may require additional procedures like Blepharoplasty for the eyes and fractional CO2 laser or dermal fillers for wrinkles which will increase the costs.

Facelift Quote important Points:

1. Make sure your Facelift will include correcting the cheek and neck laxity and includes a SMAS lift or plication.
  2. Make sure all fees including anesthesia, operating room are part of the final total.
  3. Find out how long the quote is valid. We honor quotes for 90 days.
  4. Ask about financing if needed. Care credit seems to be a good source in my experience.

There's a Huge Range in Facelift Cost

Unfortunately this is one of those questions that almost impossible to answer. A facelift can mean different things to different surgeons. It can be a standard subcutaneous elevation with SMAS plication and platysmal tightening, a SMAS elevation, a subperiosteal lift, a midface lift and any number of smaller lifts.

So it's impossible to say for exactly what you need but I would say for a standard lift with SMAS plication it could run anywhere from $8000-$20,000 just depending on where and who does it.

Facelift cost depends on how much has to be done and the experience and reputation of your surgeon

Prices for facelift varies greatly. There are many different procedures that people call face lifts.

A properly done full face lift using SMAS (Deep "muscle" tightening) which lifts the brow, the cheeks and the neck and is expected to last 10-15 years, done by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has a good reputation, and is done in a proper medical facility with general anesthesia can cost between $12,500 and 25,000.

Various mini lifts of one of the above 3 regions can cost $5,000-10,000.

Generally facelifts that cost less than $5000.00 should be viewed by you skeptically.

Many doctors with no surgical training and no board certification in Plastic Surgery offer discounted face lifts but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

For your protection i recommend that you:

1. See 2 plastic surgeons certified by the AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY-there is only one, but there are many closely named "boards" that are misleading

2. Ask to see photos of the doctors results.

3. Ask to speak to former patients who have had surgery by that doctor.

4. Trust your gut feelings-ask yourself would you be comfortable calling that doctor at 3 in the morning on a weekend if you were scared or having a problem.

5. Ask your family doctor who he/she recommends.

6. Ask friends who have had facelift if they were happy with their doctor and would recommend them.

Facelift is a very complex operation that can give beautiful results if done properly. It takes many years of experience to Gert good at face lifting. Finding an experienced surgeon with a good reputation is invaluable.

Do not shop price. When it comes to your face (or any serious surgical procedure) you want the best.

Also, do not be seduced into a "non-surgical face lift" by a laser, radiofrequency, or infrared device. These are usually marketing schemes offered by doctors who are not trained to do a proper face lift.

Younger board certified plastic surgeons who do not have established practices may offer face lift at lower costs, but the key is making sure they can deliver a good result safely.

You can also save some money often by having a facelift done under local anesthesia.

I prefer to do my facelifts in a hospital operating room-there I have the back up if any problems arise and you can have the comfort of an overnight stay in the hospital.

A facelift can produce a beautiful result in a properly selected patient when done by an excellent well trained, experienced surgeon. The cost should be secondary in this important choice.

Cost of a facelift

The basic cost of a facelift is the surgeon's fee in addition to the cost of the anesthesia and operating room for the procedure.  Most plastic surgeons will give you a breakdown and then a total for the procedure.  Keep in mind that what one person will call a facelift may go by many different names including; full facelift, a mini-facelift,  SMAS facelift, facelift and neck lift, etc..  Some names given to this procedure are actually marketing names which have little to do with the procedure itself.

Surgical fees will vary significantly and can be due to a number of factors such as experience, notoriety in the community, special circumstances such as more time required, and competition in the community.  Please don't shop just on price.  You need to consider the qualifications of the surgeon as well as personal referrals and personal chemistry with the doctor.  Look for a doctor that is Board Certified by one of the members of the American Board of Medical Specialists.

Wishing you the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Cost varies with complexity and scope

As you know, the economic downturn has caused the 'cheap facelift' to flourish.  In several offices near my two offices in southern California, one company has created a branded cheap, quick facelift under local anesthesia for $7500.  They pay the doc of the day about $500 per operation and keep the rest.  the patient follows-up with the doc of the day and the result lasts for about one year.  

Alternatively, what I do for a lower facelift costs about double that price and lasts about 5 to 8 years or longer. Additionally, I do not usually perform a lower facelift alone so that the patient maintains facial harmony. For this, endoscopic browlift, upper and lower eyelids, midfacelift, and lower facelift together, the charges start to mount. The best thing to do is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

Facelift Cost: Read this First

Before considering cost as the major variable in determining which surgeon to see, please read this article I recently wrote here on RealSelf:

Remember, It's Your Face

In this sad but unique economic environment, one of the greatest concerns for the consumer is price. The good news for the general public is that there are amazing price opportunities on many things, including cosmetic surgery. Many Facial Plastic Surgeons and Plastic surgeons throughout the country are offering prices for procedures which offer significant discounts compared to 2007 price structures. I strongly encourage patients to take advantage of this because it won't last forever.

However, at the same time, I would strongly encourage the general public to to treat overblown advertising, infomercial based plastic surgery companies, and too-good-to-be-true advertising with the appropriate amount of skepticism they deserve. Although there are good deals out there, there are truly some players in the plastic surgery marketplace who are happy to take your money, offer shoddy work, and send you on your way. Indeed this used-car approach toward cosmetic surgery can and does bleed over into patient safety: a patient died in the Orlando area in October 2009 after having a quickie infomercial Facelift procedure, and a patient died in the Miami area after having liposuction in a MediSpa. Different companies, different situations, same lack of care for the individual patient.

There are several rules of thumb when seeking facial rejuvenation and/or cosmetic surgery:

1) Seek the opinion of a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery), or Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) for facial rejuvenation. For breast and body procedures, seek the opinion of a Plastic surgeon.

2) If you have elected to be seen in a high volume, infomercial based company: a) don't be pressured into putting down a deposit; b) seek another opinion before signing up.

3) If you have made the choice to have surgery at a high volume, infomercial based company, first find out what accrediting body (JCAHO, AAAHC, ACHA, or AAAASF) has accredited the facility. If there is no accreditation, be very wary. Accrediting bodies are designed to make facilities adhere to standards of care, they are not beholden to a profit over care mentality. It is better to surrender your deposit than to surrender your face...or your life.

4) If you have had surgery in a high volume, infomercial based company and you are not happy with your results, do not sign any waivers which surrender your ability to take legal action. This is a common tactic used by such entities.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

The cost of a #facelift is variable.

There is, unfortunately, no quick answer for your question. As you've no doubt encountered in your search for the right surgeon and the right operation, the cost of a facelift can be all over the map. One of the reasons for such variability is geography (e.g. a facelift in Manhattan will cost more than in a smaller market), but another prominent reason is the sheer variability of the operation itself. The S-lift, the MACS-lift, the Weekend-lift, the short incision facelift, the deep-plane facelift, the SMAS lift, the Vampire Lift, the Lifestyle Lift...the list is really long, and confusing!
My advice is to avoid the quick hit. I've had many patients who have come to me unhappily after a quick "gimmicky" kind of lift. You will likely spend about $10-20k for a typical facelift in a typical plastic surgery market. If you also have a browlift and your eyes done, this number will be higher. Just make sure you know what your getting for your money and look at lots of photos of patients who have had the same procedure(s) you are entertaining.

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon