How Much Do Saline Breast Implants Cost?

I know saline breast implants are less expensive than silicone implants - what is the approximate price difference?

Expect $1000-$1500 Difference

Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery procedures.Prices for this procedure vary widely and depend upon several variables.It’s important to make sure that your fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges, implant costs, and pre- and postoperative care.Each of these components may vary widely, depending upon the surgeon’s practice.
Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery facilities are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospital-based practices.The surgeon’s fee can vary, as well, depending upon regional differences and levels of local competition.Anesthetic fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist, versus a physician anesthesiologist.Finally, there may be wide variations in implant charges, depending upon the type of implant chosen.For instance, silicone implants cost $1,000 to $1,500 more than saline implants.
When all of these variables are considered, fees in the Midwestern United States vary between $4,800 and $8,500.It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision, it’s not the only consideration.Make sure you have a comfort level with your surgeon’s experience and reputation and their ability to communicate with you.

You have to know what you're paying for.

I'm going to send you to an article I wrote in answer to these cost questions.  The reply applies to all financial considerations regarding cosmetic surgery.

Best of luck.

Price difference between Saline and Silicone breast implants is not as significant as you may think

Thank you for your question.  Many patients find it surprising, but the price difference between saline and silicone implants is only about $1000.  If you are considering a breast augmentation, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss all of the options available to you.  While I can appreciate that price is an important consideration for patients when it comes to a cosmetic surgery procedure, I think it is important to stress that surgeon expertise is critical.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck!

Cost of Saline Breast Implants

Costs of the procedures you are inquiring will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.Different implants may have different costs. Approximate costs can be found on the Real Self website,, or

Silicone versus Saline

Breast augmentation is often performed to replace volume lost from weight loss, breast-feeding, or age or to increase the size of the breast for aesthetic reasons.

The cost is variable and is based on what is done, the type of implant, and geographic variability. An estimate of the costs for a breast augmentation surgery in the Kent, WA area can be found below. Quoted fees may or may not include facility, anesthesia, and implant costs. The difference between saline and silicone is negligible - about $500.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option and provide you a custom quote for your situation. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Break down of implant and surgery costs

The prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Varies depending on city and surgeon

Pricing really depends on the surgeon and city in which your surgeon is located. In Toronto, this can range from $7000 to $8600. Note that the cost of your implant is determined by type (saline or silicone, with silicone being more expensive) and brand (Mentor or Allergan) but size does not really affect the cost. Other factors that affect price include the anesthesia, surgical centre fees and your surgeon's fees.

How much do saline breast implants cost?

Costs for a breast augmentation with implants will certainly vary depending on your location. Things to factor in for the augmentation procedure standpoint will be the facility fee, anesthesia fee, surgeon fee, other fees (e.g., liposuction, surgical garment, implants, etc.).   A range in price ~$3000-10000 is not unreasonable. $4-6K would be a reasonable cost on average. A consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you in determining which procedure(s) would be the right one for you. Cost also depends on the complexity of your case and how much work would need to be done to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing breast for you. Saline implants will be cheaper than silicone implants.  Good luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

You will find that the cost of surgery will differ from one geographic area to another, as well as from one practice to another.  You will also find that the cost of surgery vary  depending on exactly what procedure is recommended/performed.

Generally speaking, I think you will find the cost of surgery to range from between $5-$7000.

You will be best off doing your due diligence carefully  in the selection of plastic surgeon.  Only in person consultation will provide you with the detailed information you should obtain prior to making any decisions about proceeding with surgery.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery;  keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Saline Breast Implants

Great question!

You’re absolutely right; the variability in pricing for implants themselves is a point of confusion for many patients. It all boils down to how much the surgeon acquires the implants for, and what value they attribute to the implant for you, as the consumer.

In order to simplify things, it’s easiest to make sure you understand what the OVERALL cost of the procedure is, and what precisely it includes in terms of cost and expertise in your geographical region. Our range depending on your specific needs for Saline Implants is $4,500 - $6,500. Implants only, have a price difference between $500 - 1,000. It should absolutely be all-inclusive, and the most influential factors include,

• Is this an actual Plastic Surgeon performing the operation?
  • Is the plastic surgeon Fellowship Trained specifically in aesthetic plastic surgery?
  • Does the surgeon hold privileges at a local hospital, as a Plastic Surgeon?
  • Where will the surgery be performed? Hospital or certified outpatient surgery center?
  • What type of anesthesia will be used? General versus local anesthesia?

Choose your surgeon based NOT only on price, but whether you feel he would truly walk you thru the process and can achieve your long-term aesthetic goals. Also, it is not unreasonable to ask to speak to prior patients, visit the surgical facility, and see before and after photos.

You should also keep in mind that your choice of plastic surgery practice and surgeon, should also be a long-term choice. Chances are that you may want further services for yourself, family, and friends and want to establish a place where you become a member of the family. So be sure you love the staff, and the overall feel of the office. This should be a long-term investment in your future.