Rhinoplasty nose blowing?

Can blowing nose two weeks after Rhinoplasty affect Rhinoplasty results? And what about cleaning nose with tissue paper?

Blowing Your Nose After Rhinoplasty

As other doctors have noted, you can technically blow your nose (gently) about two weeks after undergoing rhinoplasty, although I suggest that my patients for several weeks before blowing their nose or using tissues, with four to six weeks being the ideal length of time. If you blow your nose too soon after surgery, you may risk tearing a scab, having tissue stuck within the nostrils, causing a blood clot, or minimally causing some pain to your newly-refined nose. If you absolutely must blow your nose, please do so gently and make sure that you do not place anything within the nostrils (tissues, fingers, etc.), or else you may inadvertently introduce harmful bacteria to the nose and cause an infection.

Blowing your nose after rhinoplasty

The reason most of us say not to blow your nose after rhinoplasty is that between the pressing from the outside and air pressure from the inside it's possible to compromise your result. Generally speaking, if you gently wipe it's usually not a problem (but check first!)

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Post operative nasal care

Salah, thanks for the inquiry!  For the first two to four weeks I typically ask my patients to refrain from blowing their nose and to sneeze with their mouth open.  I will have my patient's  gently irrigate with normal saline nasal rinses if they feel that mucous or debris is building up within their nose.  It would be best to keep everything out of your nose including tissue paper until cleared to do so from your rhinoplasty surgeon.
Good luck!
Anthony E. Brissett MD.,FACS

Anthony E. Brissett, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty nose blowing?

Hello Salah1395,

The reason surgeons say not to blow the nose after a rhinoplasty is to prevent bleeding.  Depending on what was done, it can also affect the outcome by increasing the pressure and popping sutures.  By two weeks you should be able to begin gentle nose blowing but your individual instructions depend on your surgeon.  I also have my patients avoid putting anything into their noses (like tissue paper) as this can tear sutures or push structures into the wrong position.  Again, I'd ask your surgeon his or her rules.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing the nose after Rhinoplasty

My typical patient can blow his/her nose gently, two weeks after rhinoplasty.  As far as using tissue paper, I tell my patients to not put anything inside the nose (nostril) for a month after surgery as there are healing incisions there.  Gentle is the key at this point.
Regards,

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose blowing

Every surgeon has different post operative restrictions and nose blowing can increased the pressure and cause a clot or scab to open up and lead to bleeding, potentially. It is important to maintain follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon so that she/he can examine you and see what the cause and treatment is. Head of bed elevation can also help with edema resolution. Best of luck, MMT

Nose Blowing after rhinoplasty

This should not affect results other than possibly increasing the chance of a nosebleed.  I would recommend minimal manipulation of the nose though when doing this.  Any undo manual manipulation or pressure on the nose can influence results in the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I would also advise against placing anything in your nose during this time period or any time after that as this may cause infections.

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon