Generally, is lipo suction of the flanks included in a full tummy tuck with lip or is it considered separate?

Generally, is lipo suction of the flanks included in a full tummy tuck with lip or is it considered separate

In general it is considered a separate procedure because the patient has to be in the face down position for that liposuction to be performed, then turned over for the tummy tuck,

Liposuction of flanks is considered add on procedure

Everyone does not need liposuction of flanks with tummy tuck. In patients who need it it is an add on procedure in addition to tummy tuck. Thus there is added cost for doing extra surgery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction

Every patient is different and it depends on your findings during a physical exam. In my practice, I like people I have operated on to look as good as possible.

I consider #liposuction as needed as part of a #tummy tuck. Hip/flank liposuction would be included in my quote.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, liposuction of the flanks is considered a separate procedure and charge from a tummy tuck.  This is generally the case with all the plastic surgeons that I know.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Each surgeon has their own protocols. At our clinic this area would be considered an additional area at an additional cost. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction of the Flanks

Liposuction of the Posterior Flanks is an altogether separate area, that at my office, is not part of a tummy tuck procedure. Most patients will add it to their tummy tuck in order to get the whole 360 degree of slimming down though.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lipo

Dear CLASB:

Since some patients need lipo of their waist and flanks and others do not, a full tummy tuck does not routinely include liposuction.    Also, people use the words waist and flanks interchangeably and that can create a lot of confusion.   I like to differentiate the two for clarity.  I like to define the anterior waist as the waist.   I define the flanks as the posterior waist (including the lower back area).   In addition, I also mark all areas for treatment prior to surgery so the patient and I are all on the same page.  Its best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon for clarity.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Liposuction addition to tummy tuck

Flank or hip liposuction is usually done a s a separate procedure because not all patients need it and it does add more complexity to the procedure and healing.  You should discuss all of your concerns with your plastic surgeon to get the best results possible.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummy tuck

I consider liposuction of the flanks as part of a good tummy tuck procedure and do not charge extra. I believe one should bring all of their possible tools to take care of a problem without breaking the cost down by every hammer and nail. 
Talk to more than one board certified plastic surgeon. 

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Every Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has their own protocols for liposuction with a tummy tuck. Many surgeons include the upper and lower abdomen, however, not the flanks.

Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to advise you at your consultation. 

All the best.