How can I correct very thick eyelids through surgery? (Photo)

I've always been self conscious about my eyelids, they are thick, they droop, and they are heavy. What can I do to correct this problem? It's been bothering me for years.

Thick Eyelid Solution

Hi Jaredholliss

Thanks for your post. It is a common problem and easily rectified.

Blepharoplasty also known as eyelid lift, eyelid surgery, eye bag removal and eyelid reshaping are cosmetic surgery procedures to remove excess loose skin of the upper and/or lower eyelid with or without fat removal or reshaping. The aim is for a fresher and more youthful appearance of the eyes. Upper lid blepharoplasty is a very common cosmetic surgery procedure in the UK.

You would need to have a thorough consultation to work through what options are best for you. Good Luck with your research.

London Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty & brow lift

It's hard to see what you are referring to from your photo so my best advise would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person. If you have excess skin on your upper eyelid, which can make your eyes look "hooded", an upper blepharoplasty would be the solution. However, if your brows hang low over your eyes, you could try Botox for a subtle lift or a forehead brow lift. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How can I correct very thick eyelids through surgery?

Hello Jaredholliss,

If your eyelids are heavy because of excess skin or a heavy brow, an upper blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) or possibly a brow lift would help this.  To determine the better option a different set of photos or an in person evaluation would be needed.  There is another issue which can lead to heavy eyelids.  This is called ptosis which means a droopy eyelid.  There are many causes for this, but if ptosis is the problem, that makes the treatment a little more complicated.  

What I would recommend is an in person consultation with a facial plastic surgeon.  This way an in person analysis can be performed and determined what is the best treatment for you based on your anatomy.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelids too heavy

You may need a blph and you can get rid of some unwmated fat and excess skin.You can have your eyebrows elevated through a procedure called a coronal or browlift.Both are outpatient procedures.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How to treat thick, heavy and hooded upper eyelids

Thank you for posting your question. The treatment of choice for heavy, hooded eyelids is upper blepharoplasty. This is the removal of excessive fat and skin causing the problem. See an experienced, board-certified Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of treatment.
Good luck,

Eyelid surgery - for thick, droopy lids

Thank you for your question about your eyelids.
  • I am sorry you are troubled by your eyelids.
  • Generally thick, droopy eyelids can be corrected with upper lid surgery -
  • A full examination is needed to determine if the eyelids or the muscle that lifts then or both need correction.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Eyelids are not thick

Your upper eyelid are not thick. They are rather droopy (eyelid ptosis). You may benefit from eyelid ptosis surgery. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon