49 old Japanese seeks double eyelid surgery to get large open attractive eyes. What method is best to fulfill my wish? (photos)

I'm 49 years old Japanese woman considering to get double eyelid surgery this year to achieve my dream look. I've been using eyelid glue to get bigger eyes( see picture) but it looks unnatural as I can't close my eye properly. My eyes are droopy and saggy. What I want is the large round open attractive eyes so I don't have to open my eyes get tired. I want my inner eyelid cut so my eyes will be bigger. Also I want to know if I should get this surgery in Japan or US. I prefer in US.

Double Eyelid Surgery

Thanks for your question.

Asian eyelid surgery is a common procedure in our practice.

In you case, you would need some skin removal along with eyelid fold creation.  You would also benefit from elongating the inner corner of your eyes, a procedure called medial epicanthoplasty.  You should be able to obtain a fold similar to the one you are creating with tape.

We would be happy to discuss this with you during a Skype or telephone consultation.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Asian double eyelid surgery (incisional blepharoplasty)

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photos. You require incisional surgery to achieve the best appearance. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon in person for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of best treatment plan. There are excellent Asian eyelid experts in the US.
Good luck,

Say goodbye to your eyelid glue

Thank you for your question and photos.  From your photo without glue/ makeup, it is evident that you have redundant skin on the eyelids and eyelid ptosis.  You would benefit from the full incision Asian blepharoplasty which can eliminate the excess skin and create a natural appearing eyelid crease.  A medial epicanthoplasty and a ptosis repair can be performed in conjunction with the blepharoplasty to elongate your inner eyelid corner and enlarge your eyes (by raising the upper eyelid margin), respectively.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Asian blepharoplasty.  Good luck!

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Creating brighter eyes and a new crease

Well good mornin' hvacprincess,  hope you're staying above water.  

Anyhow, what you most likely need is an incision technique with anchoring sutures to create a crease similar to what you are showing with the tape.  You have hollowness above the multiple creases you have mostly due to some excess skin and subsequently you hold your brow up accentuating your issues.  You may also benefit from some fat transfer but probably isn't really needed.

I perform Asian eyelid surgery every week day and I can tell you that if you use traditional blepharoplasty techniques you'll have a hollow unattractive look that's nothing like what you have provided us here with the double eyelid tape.

I'll attache some photos and a video that reviews the healing process.

Chase Lay, MD
Asian eyelid surgery specialist

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelids

HVACprincess, from your pictures it looks as though you use a significant amount of brow and lid muscle action to raise your lids. You would benefit from a blepharoplasty and ptosis surgery.  I have a long history of performing Asian eyelid surgery and feel that you may actually qualify for insurance covered surgery given your "pre-glue" appearance.  Cutting the inner eyelids (canthoplasty) may not be covered, however, costs should be reasonable for that procedure.   Hope this helps.  Cheers

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

How I choose the Asian double eyelid surgery technique for each patient, and factors to consider in doing it in the US or abroad

Thank you for your question. After reviewing your question, I understand you’re a 49-year-old Japanese woman and you’d like to achieve a very specific look for your eyes. You have been using eyelid glue to get this particular look, but it doesn’t look natural and gives you difficulties in opening and closing your eyes. You also say that your eyes look droopy and saggy. You’d like to know what type of procedure to get, and whether to have it done in the US or Japan.

Asian eyelid surgery in particular is an area of focus in my practice, so I can certainly give you some guidance on this matter. To give you a little information about my background — I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years.

There are several ways to perform Asian eyelid surgery, and they are dependent on the achievement or development of a more defined crease so the eyes look more open; whether or not there is the presence of extra skin or extra fat on the eyelid; and whether or not there is the presence of ptosis or drooping of the eyelids. There is also the option of having either a nasally tapered crease which goes towards the epicanthal fold, or a parallel crease that runs parallel to the epicanthal fold.

In my practice, what I do during examinations is take a small, blunt-type instrument which I use to create a temporary crease on the eyelid, in the area where I think it would look best, in order to show the patient what it could potentially look like. There are two techniques that are usually employed: incisional and non-incisional. A non-incisional technique involves making little openings on the eyelid skin through which a stitch is passed, and an incisional technique involves opening up the eyelid and removing skin. Regardless of the technique used, the goal is the same — to create a connection between the skin and the levator muscle so the eyelids create a clearly defined crease when they open. A similar look can be achieved with eyelid glue or tape, which is what you have been using.

With regard to having the procedure done in the US or abroad, this is really a matter of the doctor you choose, and how comfortable and confident you are with them. In my practice, I frequently meet with people who come from all over the world to consult with me for eyelid surgery, elective eyelid surgery, and complications of eyelid surgery. When they come to New York, I make sure that they’re around long enough for me to ensure they don’t have any problems with infections or bleeding after the procedure, and also for me to remove their stitches, since many patients prefer their operating surgeon to be the one to remove their stitches.

In some cases, however, we make exceptions for patients who have family members who are doctors, or who know doctors closer to where they live and are willing to take out their stitches. I’ve also had patients who live in New York and consulted with me, then went to Korea to have the eyelid surgery, and then continued to come to me afterwards when they had questions about the desired result, the outcome, and the process.

There are certainly pros and cons to each situation. There are plenty of options in the US, and many doctors who specialize in eyelid surgery, I myself being one of them. Ultimately, what matters is what makes you most comfortable. I would simply advise that you seek a specialist in Asian eyelid surgery — someone who really understands the procedure, someone who’s work you feel confident in, someone who will be there for you, and is accessible. When you find the options that work best for you, then you can move forward with the procedure.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon