Is it possible to get hidden double eyelids through eyelid surgery? (Photo)

My eyes are quite small and are drooped at the end, but I don't necessarily want the very pronounced double eyelid. If possible, I would like to keep the "Asian look" and still be considered monolidded. Would it be possible to get the tiny double eyelids that these models have? It's small enough to be unnoticeable and they still look very "Asian." Or is that too tiny to create through surgery? Maybe in conjunction with a lateral canthoplasty...?

Doctor Answers 5

Hiding the fold in Asian eyelid surgery

It certainly would depend on your anatomy and goals as well as a few other factors but creating a very low crease that is almost undetectable is usually possible. I had a Korean patient recently ask me for a crease that was not visible when looking forward but only when looking down. She essentially said she wanted to look no different but still one of decrease and this was achievable. This is not that same patient but I will attach an example of a case that shows some very subtle results. You can use incision technique or suture technique to reach your goals but I tend to prefer incision technique. Make sure you get a consultation with someone who clearly performs Asian eyelid surgery very regularly. I think cases in which the patient wants to look natural have to be approached with care and planning so as not to create a result that is too dramatic. You can always do a little more surgery but if you go to far it's very hard to reverse it.

Chase Lay, MD

Asian eyelid surgery specialist

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Subtle Asian Eyelid Crease

Thank you for sharing your question. It is possible to achieve the appearance you desire. See a very experienced Asian eyelid surgeon for comprehensive evaluation, discussion of goals and planning an appropriate treatment.
Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Hidden/ "inner" double eyelids

Hello bubblekarp,  thank you for your question.  A lot of my patients who desire a natural eyelid crease and do not want to look too westernized would often opt for a small "inner" crease.  It can be performed surgically (either via a minimal incision technique/ full incision technique) and the crease can be designed to your desired width. Some patients would prefer the fold to be rather invisible medially and only have some pretarsal show at the end/laterally like the models as shown in your photos.   A photo of your own eyelids would be preferable to see if you are a candidate for double eyelid surgery or other adjunctive procedures (ptosis repair/ medial epicanthoplasty/ lateral canthal extension etc).  Hope that helps!

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

You have ptosis (muscle weakness), a correctable condition

You have a minor degree with internal muscle weakness. The correction of this will lead to a more alert look. It can be done through an incision on the skin or from the undersurface of the eyelid. A small crease is placed at the same time. The design and size of the crease can be marked out prior to taking you into the OR

Charles S. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

"Hidden Eyelids"

Bubblecarp, it actually is very possible to achieve the appearance you seek through surgery.  You have a very slight ptosis of your lids and dermatochalasis (excess skin above your lashes).  This surgery is performed by forming a crease in the usual location as one for a "double" eyelid surgery.  A minimal ptosis repair is performed, followed by a small amount of fat removal, then removal of a small amount of skin. The result is that your residual overhanging skin can still lower your crease, but the ptosis surgery opens your eyes.  Hope this helps.  Cheers

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.