1 hour vertical facelift versus a regular facelift?

I am considering a facelift and necklift. I have been researching various local cosmetic surgery options. I live in Houston. I noticed that a one hour vertical facelift is advertised as giving the same results as a traditional facelift. This will really appealing to me. Is it to good to be true? I am 54 and my skin is in really good shape due to staying out of the sun.

ONE HOUR FACELIFT VS "THE REAL THING"

There is no way you will get anything natural and lasting with a "one hour" quickie lift.  Even iff done well, it may look good for a few months at most.  The only appeal to that kind of procedure is the "lunch hour" aspect. And no "real" plastic surgeon would perform that type of procedure unless you were fully aware of its limitations and you just wanted a quick tune up for a special occasion. 
Visit a plastic surgeon, or two or three, that are fully experienced in various levels of facial rejuvenation.  Look at photos of the differences, and make an informed decision.  It is well worth the time to research this project. It is your FACE.

I am considering a facelift and necklift one hour vertical vs traditional facelift.

Terminologies for facelifting can be varied.  Generally. I recommend seeking a personal consultation with a Specialist to learn more about your options and his specific techniques.

Advertisements cannot fully explain the extent of surgery that is being offered.  In my opinion, the speed of the procedure should not be the top priority.  The fastest may not be the best for you.

Also, the direction of pull should not be the only determinate.

I consider a vertical lift to be from the eyelid and/or temple regions.  The neck improvements would be less than traditional.

Traditional lifts can incorporate both vertical and lateral movements and improve your neck.

It's difficult for me to understand how both types of lifts can offer the same results.

Take the time to visit with many Specialist in your area.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ms. Springroll, thanks for your question. The definition of a vertical facelift may vary as you speak and consult with various surgeons. Additionally the definition of a “regular facelift” also may vary. The most important thing is that you are seen and evaluated by an experienced surgeon who is experienced in facial rejuvenation. At that consultation it is so important that you inform the surgeon of your concerns and goals that you would like to achieve. Sometimes nonsurgical options are ideal, sometimes surgical options are most likely to give you the results you desire. A facelift certainly can be and should be customized to address the areas needing correction. Most face lift procedures that address the mid and lower face will take longer than a procedure that only addresses a specific anatomic area like the mid face.

1 hour vertical facelift versus a regular

You are correct. None of us, no matter how experienced we are, can give you an optimal facelift result in one hour. I would suggest that you obtain several consults. Make a decision based on your surgeon's experience and explanations as to techniques..

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 hour facelift

Your instincts are correct--a 1 hour "facelift" is too good to be true.  We would all (surgeons included) love to be able to have (or do) a short procedure that subtracts 15 years from our face.  This is just not possible with our current techniques.  Seek out a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facelifting and have a consult.  They will be able to give you a detailed plan for which procedures will achieve your goals, from minimally invasive (Botox/fillers) to more involved (facelift/eyelid lift/skin resurfacing), along with the limitations of each.  Best wishes for a beautiful result you love!

One hour facelift

Thank you for your question.  Your suspicion that these claims are "too good to be true" are certainly correct.  A great facelift takes skill, care and time.  One hour is not enough time for even the most stilled surgeon to perform a quality facelift and close the incisions with precision.  My advice would be to see a few well respected facial plastic or general plastic surgeons who specialize in the face in your area.  Let them evaluate you and give you advice about what procedures are likely to give you the result you are hoping for.  Only move forward when you feel comfortable with the surgeon and plan.  Keep in mind that every face is different and a one-size fits all procedure will not universally yield excellent results.  A facelift should be tailored to the individual's anatomy and aging process.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift options

With something as important as your face I suggest not cutting corners. A one-hour procedure will likely leave you with temporary results and you will ultimately need a "real" lift in short time. I recommend finding an experienced facelift surgeon who will perform a quality lift using documented techniques that provide long-term improvement. Best of luck.

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifestyle Lift?

Thank you for your question. Last year the Lifestyle chain closed their doors and I believed filed for bankruptcy. Their premise was that a one hour facelift under local would provide the same results as more traditional facelift procedures. Clearly this is was not the case. Today many surgeons perform facelift under sedation anesthesia and patients are recovering more quickly then ever. Without photos its not possible to know whats best for you but stick with tried and true methods to get a natural, long lasting result. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help guide you in the right direction
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

In my humble opinion it's not the type of SMAS face lift that matters but rather the ability of your Facelift Surgeon the shape the face making "you" more youthful and naturally beautiful that counts. Facelifts by themselves don't create shape and contour but rather lift, tighten and remove excess skin. The face must be shaped using a multi-layer, three dimensional approach that evaluates and modifies all layers of the face from the bone to the skin.

Hope this helps.

A Facelift is a Very Detailed Procedure

A Facelift is a very detailed procedure. It requires much precision to achieve a terrific and natural result. I would suggest the appropriate priority is the quality of the result and the safety of the environment.

Best of luck.

Bernard A. Shuster, MD, FACS
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon