Does kybella cause excessive fat in other areas of the body; such as the abdomen?

I had two treatments of kybella earlier this year, but after my second treatment my tummy appeared larger. I feel as though I have a huge weight on my stomach from unwanted fat.

Kybella is indicated for submental fat and it will not redistribute the fat to other parts of the body. Once fat cells are destroyed, it is gone!. However, your remaining fat cells can get larger or smaller in size depending on your body weight.

Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and unwanted fat

Kybella is a fat reduction procedure currently FDA approved for use under the chin. No, it will not cause you redistribute fat to other parts of your body. Hope this helps.

Kybella does not cause fat redistribution

Kybella works by dissolving the cell membrane of the fat leading to reduction of fat in small areas.  There is great misconception about far redistribution after fat reduction procedures.  The amount of fat reduced from kybella is very small and has no impact on metabolism in the body as a whole.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Kybella redistribute body fat?

Thank you for your question Louise. It is a common misconception that nonsurgical (Kybella, CoolSculpt) and surgical (liposuction) fat reduction procedures result in increased accumulation of fat in areas other than those treated. All of these procedures, including Kybella injections, reduce areas of fatty prominence and reduce the number of fat cells in the targeted area, thereby making those areas more resistant to reaccumulation of fat. This is exactly the effect that we would hope for since treatment areas are usually those that tend to accumulate more fat or are difficult to reduce with diet and exercise. These procedures do not however redirect fat and cause it to accumulate in larger amounts in other non-treated areas. Kybella treatments of your neck would not cause you to accumulate fat in your abdominal region. If you were to have weight gain after Kybella treatments however, you should accumulate more fat in your abdominal region as always, but you may accumulate fat in your neck region to a lesser extent. 

Stay ageless.

Max Polo, MD

Max Polo, MD

Kybella Does Not Increase Fat Elsewhere

No. Kybella does not increase fat elsewhere in the body. Increased abdominal fat can happen with age and lifestyle choices -- a diet high in inflammation inducing foods such as sugar. Hope this helps.

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

#Kybella increases fat in the belly?

Dear Ageless Louise:

Kybella absolutely will not increase fat elsewhere on the body.  Deposition of fat in the belly area can be seen with high glycemic index foods, stress, and hormonal changes such as menopause. People sometimes mistake a growth in the abdominal cavity for fat, so if you have any concerns, please see your primary care doctor.

All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Kybella's localized lipolysis

Kybella is very effective at lysing fat locally.  It has no other effect on fat

cells elsewhere in the body.  If injected properly in the submental area

(chin area) you will see a very effective dissolution of that fat.  No effects

on the abdomen or elsewhere in the body.  There are several other modalities

that would address effectively the abdominal fat...both non-invasive and minimally

invasive.  Elite Body and Laser offers all those modalities tailored to you!

Vern Reynolds, DO
Columbus Anesthesiologist

Thank you for your excellent question and I am sorry to hear of your abdominal fat collection.  Kybella is a bile derived acid that causes damage to fat cells before your body reabsorbs it and will not cause other areas to accumulate it.  Hope this helps. 

Hello Ageless Louise,

That is a great question.  The use of Kybella does not cause other areas to accumulate more fat.  Kybella works by dissolving the fat in the area that is injected (the double chin).  It can be quite effective for the right patient.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella results

Thanks for your question. Kybella is FDA approved for chin fat and dissolves fat there. Should you gain weight, it would be distributed to other parts of the body. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD