Does kybella cause excessive fat in other areas of the body; such as the abdomen?

I had two treatments of kybella earlier this year, but after my second treatment my tummy appeared larger. I feel as though I have a huge weight on my stomach from unwanted fat.

Kybella does not cause fat to accumulate in other parts of the body

Kybella is a medication that destroys fatty tissue only in the area in which it is injected.  It does not cause fat to accumulate in other areas of the body.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Kybella Cause Excess Fat in Other Body Areas??

Hello Louise,

No, you needn't worry about Kybella causing a redistribution of fat to another area.  It's only action is on the fat below your chin.

Thank you.

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Works Great for Double Chins! #kybella

• Kybella is injected under the chin to help melt away unwanted fat deposits. 
  • Treatment sessions are quick, lasting less than 20 minutes. 
  • Kybella has no effect on other areas of the body when it is injected under the chin. 
  • Liposuction may be used to address the excess abdominal fat that you have. 
  • See a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated. 

Kybella & Excessive Fat in Other Body Areas

Dear Ageless Louise:

Kybella (Belkyra in Canada) works by breaking down and destroying fat cells when injected into the submental fat below the chin and does not cause excessive fat in other areas of the body.  All the best.

Kybella

Kybella is indicated for submental fat and it will not redistribute the fat to other parts of the body. Once fat cells are destroyed, it is gone!. However, your remaining fat cells can get larger or smaller in size depending on your body weight.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and unwanted fat

Kybella is a fat reduction procedure currently FDA approved for use under the chin. No, it will not cause you redistribute fat to other parts of your body. Hope this helps.

Kybella does not cause fat redistribution

Kybella works by dissolving the cell membrane of the fat leading to reduction of fat in small areas.  There is great misconception about far redistribution after fat reduction procedures.  The amount of fat reduced from kybella is very small and has no impact on metabolism in the body as a whole.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Kybella redistribute body fat?

Thank you for your question Louise. It is a common misconception that nonsurgical (Kybella, CoolSculpt) and surgical (liposuction) fat reduction procedures result in increased accumulation of fat in areas other than those treated. All of these procedures, including Kybella injections, reduce areas of fatty prominence and reduce the number of fat cells in the targeted area, thereby making those areas more resistant to reaccumulation of fat. This is exactly the effect that we would hope for since treatment areas are usually those that tend to accumulate more fat or are difficult to reduce with diet and exercise. These procedures do not however redirect fat and cause it to accumulate in larger amounts in other non-treated areas. Kybella treatments of your neck would not cause you to accumulate fat in your abdominal region. If you were to have weight gain after Kybella treatments however, you should accumulate more fat in your abdominal region as always, but you may accumulate fat in your neck region to a lesser extent. 

Stay ageless.

Max Polo, MD

Max Polo, MD

Kybella Does Not Increase Fat Elsewhere

No. Kybella does not increase fat elsewhere in the body. Increased abdominal fat can happen with age and lifestyle choices -- a diet high in inflammation inducing foods such as sugar. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

#Kybella increases fat in the belly?

Dear Ageless Louise:

Kybella absolutely will not increase fat elsewhere on the body.  Deposition of fat in the belly area can be seen with high glycemic index foods, stress, and hormonal changes such as menopause. People sometimes mistake a growth in the abdominal cavity for fat, so if you have any concerns, please see your primary care doctor.

All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD