Why is Kybella not working on me? Have had 3 rounds of injections over 6 months.

Kybella not working

kybella dissolves fat in the area injected. It is pretty effective in reducing the fat burden of the area injected. Perhaps there is not as much fat in the area as thought. The fat could also be deep to the muscle; an area not affected by the medicine. Perhaps the injection is not reaching the target area (e.g. The needle isn't going deep enough). I would also recommend looking at your pictures before and after to make sure you haven't become used to your new look and have forgotten what it looked like before injection. 

Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella appropriate candidates

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to comment without more history and an examination. Appropriate candidates for Kybella injections should certainly see improvement after 3 treatments. Kybella is indicated for treatment of excess subcutaneous fat in the central neck. Reasons for failure of treatment could be that the undesirable neck contour is not the result of subcutaneous fat accumulation but rather some other cause. Sometimes a double chin is caused by excess fat in a deeper tissue plane in the neck underneath the platysma muscle. Kybella should be injected superficial to the platysma and it is not safe to target this deeper fat compartment with these injections. An obtuse chin-neck angle may also result from excessive loose skin. Kybella works by dissolving fat and does not substantially tighten or reduce skin excess. It would be best for you to be under the care of a board certified surgeon who is an experienced injector and an expert in head and neck anatomy, aesthetics and the full spectrum of surgical and nonsurgical treatment options.

Max Polo, MD

Kybella Works Well on the Right Candidate

Dear anon2000:

Kybella (Belkyra in Canada) works well and effectively to reduce sub-mental fat or fullness in the right candidate.  My recommendation is to follow up with a plastic surgeon to discuss alternative neck treatment options with you.  All the best.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician

Kybella

If it did not work at all the first time the treatment should have been scrutinized for you specifically.  I have had very good results with one and two treatments.  Speak with your provider or go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an opinion regarding injectables and other facial rejuvenation techniques.

Kybella Will Only Reduce Fat: Consider a Neck Lift

It is unfortunate that Kybella was injected 3 times prior to the realization that it wasn't working. Typically, the injector is not a surgeon and will not have the experience to determine if a neck lift would be the better choice. Kybella does work, though the number of patients that a excellent candidates are a minority. Most necks would benefit from at least 2 out of 3 issues corrected: skin, fat and muscle. Consider a neck lift consultation when after about 6 weeks from your last injection.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Kybella Results

Sorry to hear about your experience with Kybella. I have been injecting patients with Kybella since it first came out over a year ago and I have to say when injected in the appropriate patient with the appropriate number of vials and treatment sessions, it almost always works really well. It is hard to determine why it has not worked for you without seeing photos or evaluating you in person. Your issue maybe skin laxity rather than submental fat. You may also have post platysmal rather than preplatysmal fat. Finally, your condition maybe related to something other than fat. I recommend you followup with an experienced aesthetic physician to determine the appropriate next step.

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Kybella results

I am sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your results. Kybella is incredibly effective on the right patient. Without pre and post op photos, it is impossible to say why it didn't work for you. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Hello anon20000,

Kybella is a great treatment for the right patient.  If you haven't seen any result in 3 treatments it is possible you weren't the best candidate for treatment.  I would discuss your concerns with your injector to get an idea of why you aren't seeing the result you wanted.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella effectiveness

Kybella is a great option for non-invasive fat reduction under the neck; however, effectiveness depends on a lot of factors including the amount of fat, the position of the fat, the amount of product injected and the skin quality of the area treated.  In general, kybella works best in patients with a small amount of fat localized under the chin.  For larger amounts of fat, more treatments and more volume of Kybella need to be used often making it costly.  In the studies most patients had 4-6 treatments.  Return to your physician and have an open conversation about your results and expectations; it may be that you need more treatments or a different approach.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella Question

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry that you are having this experience with Kybella.  It is difficult to say why Kybella hasn't given you the results you desire without pre- and post-injection photos.  Also, Kybella works by dissoving fat, which lies right below the skin. If you only have loose skin and muscle under the chin without fat, Kybella will not work as well as you would like.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your injector, as well.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon