Erbium Laser for rolled acne scars? (Photos)

I am 22 year old male with rolled acne scars similar to the pictures below. These are most visible on my left temple. My question is, what results can I expect to get after 1-2 treatments with Burane XL Er:YAG 2940 nm laser ? I want to know how effective is this particular Erbium laser for my condition...I am pretty sure the doctor would use ablation mode while treating me. Thanks in adv.

Treatment for acne

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. Acne scars are particularly difficult to treat. There are several approaches to treatment that might give you some improvement. I use the Erbium laser in conjunction with PRP w/ Microneedling. This combined technique seems to help more than either treatment alone.  Good luck,

Your scars are deep and predominantly rolling scars. I would find a skilled dermatologist who can perform subcision first then followed by ablative CO2 laser. Very likely you may require some fillers at the end to some discrete areas.

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

Acne scars

Thanks for your question!

Ablative lasers (full CO2 or erbium) would be of benefit to this but how I like to treat this in my practice is usually first with dermabrasion. NOT MICROdermabrasion but full on dermabrasion. 

This works by using a fine surgical sander to remove the outer layers of skin down to the dermal layer. New skin is regenerated which isn't as damaged as the current skin. Several treatments are sometimes necessary. This route can be cheaper than lasers as it's much less advanced technology.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician

Laser for ance scars

Thanks for your question and photos. There are many approaches to the treatment of acne scars, including: fillers, subsicion, excision, punch grafting and  laser resurfacing. Within "laser resurfacing" there are many options, including: carbon-dioxide laser, YAG laser, and erbium laser. Then you have fractional,
ablative, single pass, deep, blended along with a myriad of other setting options. So which is best? It depends! It depends on the depth of the scars, how bound down they are, your skin type and the experience of your dermatologist. Just based on the photos you provided I would suggest that carbon dioxide laser
may have a benefit over erbium by giving a little more contraction and lift to the base of the scar as opposed the erbium laser. Having said that I am sure you can get significant benefit from an erbium laser treatment. Hope this helps.

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist