Gynecomastia Returns After 1 Month?

I had a surgery on both sides. results one week out of post op i removed the compression vest and both sides were mostly flat. but within one week they were puffy again and became very itchy. By the second week i have dense tissue under both sides again almost exactly the way it was before surgery but now has much more pain. Doctor said its scarring and fibrosis but I am doubtful of this, he said I have to wait 6 months for any revision. What should i do?

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Healing and Expectations

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.
Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes.

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Recurrence 1 month post-op

It is not uncommon to have swelling under the nipple/areola after gynecomastia surgery, and quite often, patients will notice worsening of this when I allow them to discontinue their compression vest 4 weeks post-op.  This is not recurrence of the gynecomastia, but rather, it is either routine post-operative swelling, or it might be related to some scar tissue in the area.  In most cases, time will resolve these concerns, and the swelling waxes and wanes during that time.  If the swelling under the nipple persists beyond 3 - 4 months, I will sometimes inject a corticosteroid (Kenalog) to address the scar tissue, and this works fairly effectively to decrease swelling related to scar formation.  I won't consider any sort of revision before 9 months to a year in most patients, since it can take that long for the swelling to fully resolve and for the scar to settle.  So for now, patience is the name of the game.  You should speak to your surgeon for recommendations on scar management and massage.

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Hello

After surgery it takes 6-9 months for all swelling and scarring to subside. If it’s been more then 6-8 weeks you can start messaging the area to start breaking down the scar tissue. 1 month post-surgery you should be wearing a compression vest to help with the swelling.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)