How Do I Tell The Difference Between Scar Tissue Or Left Over Fat After Gynecomastia Correction?

I had gynecomastia corrction (lipo + excision) 7 weeks ago and am still very puffy. Is this scar tissue or left over glandular/fat the PS dodn't remove, as I'm far from flat by the pics.

It is still too early to tell if revision will be necessary.

It is still too early to tell if a revision will be necessary.  Your photos are not labelled as to pre and post op.  Assuming the photo on the left is preoperative, it appears as though you started with excess skin.  It often takes several months following glandular resection for the skin envelope to contract.  Unfortunately, not all patients will achieve a smooth pleasing contour and may require a secondary revision for the excess skin.  Give it more time.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

7 Weeks Post Male Breast Reduction Revision

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi socovostok,

Thanks for the post and the photos. At 7 weeks you are still in the healing phase and can expect to see some more changes. I would recommend that you keep in communication with your plastic surgeon. Any consideration of revision surgery should be deferred until you are at least 6 months out from surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

It is still too early to assess the final outcome of your surgery.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia Revision Surgery?

It is normal for some swelling to last several weeks. I have my patients wear a comprseeion vest for 6 weeks to help the skin adhere back to the chest wall and to keep the swelling to a minimum. Some patients require a second procedure to remove excess skin. Give it more time and see what your plastic surgeon recommends.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery

At this point in time of your recovery, it is normal for you to still have some swelling and puffiness. Swelling should subside within a couple months depending on the healing process and your activity level. I ask my patients to wear a compression garment/vest for 4 weeks to help minimize swelling. Consult your surgeon to rule out any seroma (accumulation of fluid in the underlying tissues). Be patient and keep in close communication with your surgeon so that he/she can help you with your recovery.  Things will continue to change in the next few months.

Revision surgery after gynecomastia correction

I would wait another 4 weeks to determine whether or not you're experienceing swelling or residual breast tissue.  Then, you can get the undertreated area revised if it is, in fact, breast tissue.

Early results of gynecomastia surgery

I see that you are worried about the results. It is best to visit your Gynecomastia surgeon regularly as there may be some changes in the next few month. You may need a revision in the future. 

Mordcai Blau, MD