I had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and alar base reduction. What could this be?

One side of my nostril where stitches were is very hard and lumpy and getting worse, stitches were removed 8 days ago and no improvement, other side is completely smooth, what could this be?

Small healing problem

You may have a little problem with the healing of the right alar wound. It would be best to check with your surgeon to rule out a possible infection (very rare in that area).

London Plastic Surgeon

Why is my nostril scar lumpy after rhinoplasty?

Dear Gracie

Many thanks for asking your question.

Your scar from your alar base reduction sounds like it is getting lumpy and becoming hypertrophic. This is something you should see your plastic surgeon about, as it may require some sort of intervention to get it to settle down.

Did you have any more inflammation on this side, or a mild infection? Both of these would explain why this side is different from the other side.

Treatment may include topical silicone gel or injections of steroid into the scar. However, you really need to arrange to see your plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Alar base reduction incision

The firmness in this area may simply represent normal healing of the incision. As a wound heals it actually thickens and becomes firm for several weeks--gradually this improves until there is a mature incision line.

However, if the redness continues to worsen, or is coupled with increasing tenderness or drainage, you may have a small local infection developing. Additionally, there may be a deep suture under the skin that is irritated.

In any case, you should contact your surgeon for an examination and further instructions. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon