I Am Going on a Vacation in Hawaii After One Month Post Op Rhinoplasty. Will This Be Ok?

It's my summer vacation and one month of being inside the house is killing me. I know I must avoid the sun. If I go to hawaii and sit on the beach with an umbrella and sunscreen on would it still be an issue. Is it only the sun that i should be avoiding or the heat of the weather all together? I dont want to be indoors all the time. Any advice?

Enjoy Your Vacation to Hawaii

Generally speaking, you should be cleared to take a vacation by the one-month mark of your rhinoplasty recovery. At this point, you should be okay’ed to fly, though your surgeon must be the one to give you the final decision on this. As for enjoying your time in Hawaii, I would advise that you be mindful of your recovering nose while on your vacation. Do not participate in water activities or strenuous physical activities, and be sure to regularly apply sunscreen to your healing nose. Your nose could still refine after a rhinoplasty especially if there was graft work done or if there is thick skin. As long as you are being cautious and are being practical about what you can and can’t participate in, your recovery should not interfere with your plans to go to Hawaii.

Sun and Fun after Rhino

In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The bones are pretty well healed one month after rhinoplasty.

It is perfectly fine for you to go on your vacation one month after rhinoplasty.  The bones of the nose, assuming your surgeon had to fracture the bones, are very stable.  Still, I would avoid situations were your nose could receive contact or trauma, such as contact sports.  As alway, you should use sun block on the nose for general good skin health.

Benjamin C. Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enjoy your vacation - use sunblock on the nose!

You will be perfectly fine on your well deserved vacation. At this point traveling by plane is safe for you. Go and relax, but still be careful. Please protect yourself from the sun- use sunscreen and avoid direct sun on your face, especially nose area. You are still only 4 weeks after the surgery, so take it easy and do not overdo it.  Allow yourself about 6 weeks before diving and going back to contact sports. You can enjoy nice walks on the beach. Have fun and be safe. At this point you are also 

The nose is very stable one month after a rhinoplasty.

There is no contraindication to vacation one month after rhinoplasty. Is essentially a stable is it would be had no rhinoplasty been done.

Traveling after rhinoplasty

Yes, traveling one month after rhinoplasty is definitely safe. You can bring some nasal saline spray with you on the plan if you feel like your nose is dry. Have fun in Hawaii!

-Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Air travel after a rhinoplasty

One month after a rhinoplasty you should be fine to travel.  You may have problems with  dryness of the nose in the plane. Use a little vasoline around your nostrils to add some moisture to the air you breath.  

Rhinoplasty postop one-month vacation

It is certainly acceptable to go to Hawaii a month after your rhinoplasty surgery. The best advice is to use  a floppy hat, stay out of the direct sunlight,and  use sunblock across your nose.

Sun after rhinoplasty only with caution

Because your nose will still be healing on the inside, the outside will be quite sun sensitive. You can travel, though a sun block rather than sun screen will help you avoid problems. Look for products with a physical block such as micronized zinc.

You should be OK to travel at this point but clear this with your surgeon prior to scheduling your trip. The risk of sitting at the beach is that there is alot of reflected light that is not blocked by the umbrella above you. In addition to broad spectrum sunscreen and an umbrella you should also wear a wide brimmed hat that will further protect your nose from the sun. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon