I'm having neck lift with mini face lift. Pre procedure blood work up showed elevated Factor Viii. What's my clotting potential?

It is a three hour surgery under IV sedation,,no intubation. What are my risks of blood clotting in legs, etc? My EKG was perfect. Have never had any indications before this blood testing. I am 60 year old female. Thank you.

Get Referral to Hematologist

Because this isn't a condition you knew of prior to getting pre-surgical blood work, you should schedule an appointment with a hematologist before proceeding with cosmetic surgery. Elevated Factor VIII is associated with an increased risk of thrombosis, and it needs to be thoroughly evaluated to determine the clinical significance of your condition; excessive clotting can not only affect your legs but also the skin flaps created during a facelift. Best of luck.

Facial surgery - unexpected elevated Factor VIII

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift. Send your surgeon a copy of your laboratory report and ask your surgeon if s/he can refer you to a hematologist to see you before surgery and determine if more studies are needed or any preventive measures during surgery.  If your surgeon does not know of a hematologist, your regular doctor can refer you.  Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hematologist

It sounds like you need to have your blood work reviewed by a hematologist prior to surgery.  Best of luck.

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. This should be fine, as long as you have no history of blood clots or spontaneous abortions/miscarraiges.  Still best to consult a hematologist and speak with your surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Blood abnormalities

A blood test result that is out of range and out of context should always be redrawn. However, if it still is present on a repeat test, it would warrant review by a hematologist.  Best wishes.

Mini-Facelift

Try not to be concerned, but you will need consultation with a hematologist for a full work up to be certain surgery can be performed safely. Good lucl

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Clotting Factor Defects

Thank you for your question. There are both quantitative and qualitative factor defects. They can be mild and clinically insignificant or very serious. I would recommend a consultation with a hematologist so they can define your risk, if any, to be as conservative as possible. Im sure your surgeon would recommend this to be sure that it is ok to proceed and to discuss if any peri or postoperative therapy is indicated
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear troylin

Thank you for your question!  In regards to blood clot risk- in general risks are lower with sedation.  In regard to clotting factors out of normal range- this would have to be addressed by your surgeon and or a hematologist.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD