Is IPL safe if I have Acute Porphyria Cutanea Tarda? I am in remission and am not bothered by the sun.

IPL, Lasers, Ultherapy in Acute Porphyria Cutanea Tarda

There are plenty of other anti-aging options that might work better for you, such as Ultherapy. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

IPL safe in PCT?

Theoretically the porphyrins in PCT are only activated around 400 nanometers - the end of the UVA range. IPL is visible light - starting at  400. However, definitions vary as to where UVA stops and visible light starts so I would stay away from any IPL treatment below 500 nanometers for sure. See a physician experienced with IPL who is willing to research this. If you were my patient I would do more research and also perform a test spot prior to treatment. Also, there may be other treatments to address you concerns - maybe you don't need IPL.
Best to you,
Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician