Severe PIH from IPL laser treatment for acne scarring. How can I erase it?

I am of a dark complexion and used IPL laser (performed and recommended by the dermatologist) to treat my bacne and hyperpigmentation (. I got burnt using the lowest dosage of the laser and now have severe PIH all over my back. What can i do to make this go away and solve my PIH from bacne??

Thanks for your query. The PIH will go but it takes its own sweet time. You can send in a picture and we can advise you topical creams which can fasten the process of healing. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Treating PIH

Thank you for your question amabe. I am sorry to hear about your situation. IPL is a light-based treatment to address various concerns for rejuvenation of the face and other areas. PIH is a condition characterized by dark pigmentation of the skin in response to an insult such as a laser treatment, cut, brun, sun exposure, etc. PIH goes away on its own, but this can take time. Treating it can make it go away faster. PIH can actually be treated with IPL, but the settings must be adjusted. Other treatments include chemical peels, fractional laser, and Q-switched laser. Topical products containing ingredients such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, and vitamin C can also help. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation -- Peels, Skin Care, Microsecond Yag, Picosecond Laser

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist.  This typically goes away on its own but can take 3-6 months. It often is a consequence of your own healing. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treating PIH from IPL Treatments

PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) may fade on its own, which can take months or even years in some cases.  You might be able to speed the clearance with prescription skin care products or laser treatments with a PicoSure FOCUS laser.   I recommend that you do not do any further IPL sessions unless it is in a medical setting where they are using current technology and experienced, licensed practitioners.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician