Seroma in pubic area, 18 months after surgery?

I had laser assisted Liposuction on my full abdomen and love handles. Within couple days after the procedure notice lack of sensation and difficulty peeing. During post-op visit, my surgeon told me it's normal and due to liquid accumulation they injected during procedure. I was told it should go away within 6 months. 18 months later and after several imaging and Neurological tests, my latest CT scan shows I have seroma above my pubic area. All other possibilities are ruled out. How? Advice?

Post op seroma

Unfortunately, It is difficult to reliably sclerose a long standing seroma. It has well walled off now and will need to be excised. It's is a fairly easy operation, is not painful, and is very reliable.

Pubic seroma

Thank you for asking about your pubic seroma after liposuction.

• I am sorry this has happened.
  • You need a plastic surgeon - if you aren't under the care of one already.
  • You are likely to need either surgery or interventional radiology with injection of sclerosants to seal the seroma.
  • If you still have trouble peeing, you should also be evaluated by a urologist.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Seroma after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you give your plastic surgeon a call.  Seromas can occur after liposuction or excisional procedures like a tummy tuck.  Without reviewing your studies and examining you it is hard to advise.  Good Luck.  

Post-Lipo Recovery

For any post surgical complications, it's best to get in touch with your surgeon to discuss the outcomes and any complications as they will be best suited to address your specific concerns. 

Liposuction question

A seroma  can develop after any surgery where a potential space is created. If you have a seroma at 18 months following your procedure and it has never been treated it is likely that you may require surgery in order to evacuate it and get rid of the wall surrounding it. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

The treatment of a chronic Seroma

The correct treatment of a seroma is to have it drained early and often.

This means it should be drained as soon as it's recognized and drained as often as every day or every other day.

Sometimes placing a surgical drain may be appropriate.

Once A seroma has become chronic meaning it's been present for more than several months it forms a membrane or capsule which will not allow it to go away on its own or by having it drained.

At this point the most appropriate treatment is to surgically excised the full seroma including the capsule followed by placing a drain until the space is completely healed up.

Smaller seromas that don't cost any problems can simply be left alone.

Any board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to handle this.

I suggest you follow up with your plastic surgeon and ask him or her to evaluate and treat accordingly.

A saroma it's a medical condition or complication in this generally not considered a cosmetic diagnosis.

This means that medical insurance almost always pays for the treatment of these.

The plastic surgeon who did your treatment should not be charging you for treating this.

If you seek second opinions hopefully you can find someone who's willing to work with your medical insurance plan if you have one.

Some plastic surgeons do not except medical insurance because of the very low reimbursement.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Thank you for sharing your liposuction experience and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  Seromas are discrete fluid collections that can occur after any procedure that leaves a "space" within the body.  This causes the body to want to place fluid in this area to "fill" the space left behind.  Though large seromas that cause issues are rare with liposuction, small ones that go unnoticed are not.  I would advise seeing your surgeon for an evaluation and discussion of treatment options.

Seroma from liposuction.

Seromas are fluid collections in the body. They occur after many types of operations and, if small, can be asymptomatic. Larger ones can be symptomatic and if out this late may require resection by surgery. You should return and see your plastic surgeon and bring your imaging studies with you for them to review. They should be able to advise you on the size of the seroma and you can discuss a plan. Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD