Is there an age factor for liposuction - I am 79.

In general, age is not a contraindication to surgery.  You would need to be healthy as well as a good candidate for liposuction.

Liposuction at age 79

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

No, there is not an age limit to liposuction. If you are healthy, you can have elective surgery. One would need to examine you to determine how much fat should be removed and the strength of your skin before saying 'yes' to liposuction. As we get older, skin tends to lose its strength - so have an exam to see how your skin is likely to do with liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is age a factor for liposuction

The most important factor is your health.  If you are in good physical health and are able to obtain a medical clearance from your doctor you should be fine to have liposuction. *

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Age is not a barrier

Thank you for your questions. Age alone is not a barrier. What is important is your general health in relation to risk factors and the elasticity of your skin, or its ability to snap back after fat removal. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD

Liposuction is not about numbers, anyone can do it !

you can have liposuction if you are medically cleared and you are a candidate. I suggest seeing an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Age for liposuction

There is not an "age limit" for liposuction but depending on your body contours, you will likely have some skin laxity given your age. Be sure to discuss your concerns/expectations with your surgeon.

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Age factors for liposuction

The simple answer to your question is yes however there is no absolute set age at which point people can or cannot have liposuction.

As physicians we often if you age as someone's physiological state rather than chronological age.

In other words if someone has a few extra years on them but is in good health their body is in better shape to handle surgical procedures then someone who may be younger but has multiple serious medical problems.

I have performed liposuction on people in their 70s though the number of people in that age range who request this procedure is somewhat small.

Whether this is appropriate or not or if you're a candidate and liposuction is warranted is something that's best discussed during an in person consultation.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

LIposuction

We worry more about health than calendar age, but at 79 most people's skin has lost so much elasticity that it would not contract adequately after Liposuction and thus would not be a good candidate. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD