Can I go on a 16 hour flight with a Seroma? How long can I go without having surgery? (photo)

My right breast is considerably tighter and higher than my left. After a workout I noticed slight pain and overnight it pretty much swelled up. I have seen my surgeon and she believes it to be a Seroma. I am 4 months post op, saline breast implants. I am flying 16 hours (32 round trip) next week. Concerned that my breast will be under too much pressure. Everyday my breast feels tighter. How long can I go without having surgery to correct this?

Breast seromas

can be drained with smaller liposuction cannulas using a stair-step approach to the pocket.  This allows for confirmation of what is thought to be happening.  I would not recommend a long trip with an ongoing problem that isn't confirmed and managed.

Can I go on a 16 hour flight with a Seroma?

Dear Sinman01You should have the seroma managed prior to travel. Discuss options with your surgeon and come up with a plan prior to your travels. In general, it is unwise to take risks with your health specially when you are away from home and away from the support of your family and the health care system you know and trust. Look for an experienced and well trained Plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery. see more than one consultation and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Best to treat the complication first…

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Your intuition is correct; best not to travel far from your plastic surgeon, without undergoing revisionary surgery first.  You may find,  based on the description of progressive worsening of the "tightness", that swelling/pain will increase, if you do not undergo surgical evacuation of the fluid accumulation.  Best wishes.

You should have this drained as soon as possible. Recommend seeking revision specialist as soon as possible. Do not recommend long flights with seroma 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS