Volbella lip injection bump. Is this normal? (Photo)

Good after-noon, It's been 7 hours since my Volbella lip injection, and was aware that swelling will occur, but I noticed a bump on my top right lip (as seen on the picture ). Is this normal ? will it fade away ? It looks a little bit bruised. I have taken an appointment with the doctor in 3 weeks for another check up. Thank you for your replies

Placement needs to be precise

I'm sorry you're dealing with this however it is too early to know if it is standard soft tissue swelling or product. Juvederm Volbella XC is a fantastic product for this area however is EXTREMELY technique dependent. The meticulous natural and depth of placement is not for the beginning injector. If this product is injected too superficially one can be left with lumps, bumps or blue discoloration. Again, based upon your photo and without in person assessment it is unknown what you are experiencing. I cannot emphasize the importance of going to a provider who is within a top in your region or even country who has performed thousands of filler procedures.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Placement needs to be precise

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Early days. ICE following Volbella injections.

Lips are notorious for swelling following Volbella or even Restylane. Its early days, probably a bruise. If you notice pain, see the help of your injector. In my opinion anyone who injects should also know how to deal with potential problems as it is in the patient's best care. All the best, Dr Davin Lim .Brisbane, Australia .

Bump after Volbella

Thank you for your question GreenBlanc. I understand your concern. Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the lips. Lumps and bumps are normal for 2 weeks after a treatment. Patience is important.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Bump after Volbella

Bump in lip after Juvederm Vobella injection

GreenBlanc,

Chances are the bump in your lip is either bruising or that the filler was placed to superficially.  Noting that you have discoloration it is most likely a bruise.  Gentle massaging to the bump will help soften the area quicker, but expect it to dissolve over about a week to 10 days.  If it still persists, be sure to follow up with your doctor sooner, or an board certified specialist who is an expert injector.  Best of luck!

Dr. Edween

Julie Edween, DO

GreenBlanc,

Dr. Edween

Julie Edween, DO

Volbella Injection

Any time fillers (including volbella) are injected it is possible to get some unevenness or lumps.  Generally this can be smoothened out with some molding of the product before it settles.  If you are a bruised, that can also contribute to an uneven appearance that may subside once the bruise goes away.  The best recommendation is to confer with your injector.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Volbella Injection

Kimberly Lee, MD

Bump in lip

Volbella is my current favorite filler for lips: it's soft, smooth, natural and lasts for up to one year! However, like any filler, it does have some side effects, namely injection pain, bruising, and swelling. The bump you're experiencing is normal. I would recommend applying a moisturizer to your upper lip, taking the lip between your thumb and index finger and gently stroking the lip in a linear fashion to massage out the bump. I would that twice a day for 10-20 strokes. It should take only a day or two to resolve. Following up with your doctor is also a good idea although your bump should be long gone by the time you see him.

In addition to the products used, remember, especially with fillers, the skill of the injector is paramount. Always seek out an expert in facial aesthetics, such as a board-certified dermatologist to maximize results while minimizing side effects.

Bump in lip

Volbella and swelling

Some swelling is normal following the injection of fillers in the lips, but in looking at your photo I would follow-up with your injector in a few days if the swelling has not resolved. Occasionally, an excess amount of filler is placed in one area of the lip and if this is the case, it should be dissolved with hyaluronidase. I can't determine if the swelling is as a result of bruising from the photo that you provided. If the swelling is caused by internal bruising it will go away on its own. I recommend not waiting 3 weeks to see your injector. 

Volbella and swelling

Bumps after injections

There are several reasons for bumps after filler injections and different bumps need different treatments. I recommend that your see the doctor who did the inkections and review your concerns.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Bumps after injections

Bump after injection

Bumps can appear after a filler treatment, and they usually go away in a couple of days as the product gets absorbed by your body. However, we recommend you wait it out for about two weeks, and if the bump is still there, return to your injector. They can massage it away (don't do this on your own).

Bump after injection

Lip bumps after filler injection

It is not unusual to have a firmness or bump in the lip after filler injection in the first 1-2 weeks, and the vast majority disappear on their own. Sometimes its just a bruise, and other times its a bit too much filler placed in one area or possibly not massaged enough. If it is filler, you can press it firmly yourself to disperse it, or if worried, have your dermatologist take a look in say 5-7 days when any bruising would have already disappeared.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip bumps after filler injection

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon