Lumpy lips two months after Juvederm Volbella? What are my options? Will these lumps & thickness go away? (Photo)

Hi, I had 0.8mL juvederm volbella injected into my lips 2 months ago. Symmetry & results were good. This week, lumps have developed along the inner side of my lips, and my lower lip corners have thickened. My smile now looks horrendous. I'm very depressed about this - what are my options? Will these lumps & thickness go away & how long will this take? I'm pregnant so don't think hyaluronidase is an option, but I am desperate for some advice. Thank you.

Lumps after juvederm voluma

You should return to the doctor to be assessed for these bumps.  Could be blisters or a localized tissue reaction.  Massaging may help and over time the bumps should go down, but you can try hyaluronidase after pregnancy.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

See the doctor that did your injections

There are many ways to deal with uneven results after lip fillers. Fortunately these problems are not common. With the issues that you are describing, I recommend that you see the doctor who did the injections.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Consult your doctor for options following Volbella filler

You really do need to talk to your doctor who performed this procedure. Lumps at 2 months are somewhat usual, and not normal. They may settle down in time, or need to be dissolved. Infection and other reactions need to be ruled out. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

See your injector

Please return to your injector for an assessment. The cause of the lumps has to be determined by a physical examination, as it may be from excess product, infection or allergic reaction. Best of luck.

Bumps after lip filler

It is possible to get bumps after lip fillers, and it can occur with any filler. The lip is probably the highest risk area for bumps/nodules. Many resolve on their own after a few weeks, but if they don't, your dermatologist can inject the bump with hyaluronidase to dissolve it. Occasionally, they can just poke it, and express the excess filler.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumpy lips after dermal filler treatment

Thanks for your question.  Although very rare, its not uncommon to have a localized reaction to your dermal filler a few months after your procedure.  It is possible to settle these lumps using an enzymatic product which breaks down the hyaluronic acid in the product and it would be worthwhile disussing this with your injecting doctor, although it can't be used during pregnancy. While its not possible to surgically remove your dermal filler, you will find that the product will metabolize over the coming months and disappear.  In the meantime, lightly massaging the lips may help.

Thickness 2 months post lip injection.

It looks as though you may have blisters from your photo; although it is difficult to make a true diagnosis. Return back to your injector and be assessed. They may be able to massage the area and reduced the appearance of the thickness in your upper lip. 

Hope this helps. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD