When can I start vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom after a mommy makeover?

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op. I've been walking 1 mile the last 5 days (cleared by my dr) and I've been doing dishes, cooking, sweeping and laundry. I feel fine. I haven't needed the pain meds since day 5. Can I go ahead and vacuum now too? And clean my bathtub? I can't stand how gross it is!

Dr. Derby Sang

After 20 days post op you can already start to be more active, with precaution. 

Best of luck

Healing after a mommy makeover.

Thank you for your question. The best person to advice you if youre ready for extra activity will be your specific surgeon as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. Healing after a mommy makeover is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

Mommy makeover recovery

Congratulations on your surgery!  It sounds like you are healing very nicely.  However, it is best to check with your doctor to be cleared for additional activity.  He/She is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you have been progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

When Can You Start Vacuuming

Healing after the  mommy makeover will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full , no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

The best thing to do if you find that you will be ready to begin full activity again will be a follow-up visit with your surgeon. You can make sure that healing is progressing well and that full activity will not cause any problems or delays. Good luck.

Heavy housework after a mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am so glad you are healing so well after your mommy make-over.
  • You need to check with your surgeon before doing heavy housework.
  • Generally tell patients to wait at least 4 weeks before vacuuming, bending and lifting.
  • Call your surgeon and see what s/he has to say.
  • If s/he says wait, then get a one-time cleaning service to come in and clean for you before you get more upset by the state things are in!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover Postop Restrictions

I usually recommend no heavy lifting or cardio workouts for at least one month after Mommy Makeover surgery.  It does depend on exactly what surgery was done, so you should consult with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Activity?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following mommy makeover surgery. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Getting back to household work after mommy makeover

Wow - congratulations on what sounds like a smooth and speedy recovery.   If you have been cleared by your surgeon to do some light walking and have tolerated some household chores so far, you may be ready to do heavier duties around the house like vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom.  

Totally understand about not being able to look away from 3.5 weeks of accumulated buildup - but check in with your surgeon to be completely safe before plunging in to the mess.

Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Listen to your body and increase activities gradually/carefully…

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Having said that, most patients are able to drive approximately one week after surgery, engage in lower body exercises two weeks after surgery, lift more than 10 pounds 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, and run 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as well. Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to  relevant advice.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When can I clean

Congratulations on your recent surgery! You can do anything after 3 weeks except heavy core stuff until 6-8 weeks post op.  Hope this helps!