Is a high TSH (Thyroid Stimulatimg Hormone) safe prior to surgery?

My TSH bloodwork came back at a 63.22. Is surgery safe at the level? What does medical clearance consist of?

It is imperative that thyroid levels are optimized prior to surgery.

I would try to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of these procedures and who has pictures and reviews you like.

Best to wait until your thyroid hormones are well-controlled: well controlled hyperthyroidism will not be a contraindication to elective breast surgery.  In my opinion, best to have normal thyroid hormone levels for at least 3 months prior to proceeding. Your internist/endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to good advice regarding timing of the procedure. Best wishes.

High TSH level preop

No, a high TSH is not a good thing prior to surgery. It likely means that you are hypothyroid. You should be evaluated by your primary care doctor and/or an endocrinologist who will work to normalize your hormone levels. Low thyroid may impair your wound healing after surgery, so it's best to optimize your thyroid hormone level.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

High TSH

A high TSH is an indication that you are hypothyroid (Your thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormone which can lead to weight gain and many other symptoms).  Elective surgery should be done only when you are at your healthiest!  I would recommend a work up by your PCP and treatment before elective surgery.

William Koenig, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon