I took off tape on my nose. Will this affect my results?

I had my cast on for a week then when I got the cast off the doctor had taped the nose. I had removed the tape he put on after 3 days because it was starting to get gross and peel off. I went and got paper tape to apply it myself the same way the doctor did but I only applied it at night since the tape I bought really wasn't sticking too well. Will this affect my final results? My doctor will not answer my questions or make post op appointments with me I really need help.

Removing your own nasal tape

You happened to have chosen one of my favorite operations. Conservative, understated less is more rhinoplasty is detailed and complex, always with an eye toward understated natural beauty. One should never remove tapes or any other dressing that your plastic surgeon has put in place. It is there for a reason and and must be respected. Applying tapes yourself can actually potentially make matters worse since tapes are not just tapes but are holding certain structures of the inside of the nose in place so that the final result is beautiful. My best advice to you is to go back to your plastic surgeons office and find out where to go from here. Sincerely, Barry Weintraub M.D., 

I took the tape off my nose. Will this affect my results?

Taping is useful after a rhinoplasty.  It is surprising your surgeon will not "make post-op appointments", although it sounds as if he saw you 3 days ago. 

Kenneth D. Christman, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Taping after rhinoplasty

Taping is used to help reduce swelling postop.  If not used it may extend swelling somewhat but should not affect your final result.  

Tape Removal After Rhinoplasty

The most important opinion with this issue is that of your operating Surgeon. If your tape came off, you should ask his/her opinion about whether it should be replaced. I am not sure why any Surgeon who has performed your surgery would refuse to see you.  Was the surgery performed in the United States? Although I believe in keeping tape on the nose for the duration of the 2nd week, this is unlikely to have adverse long term consequences.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping after rhinoplasty

In my opinion, not wearing the tape sufficiently according to the advice of your physician could result in a persistent hump deformity since the skin is not compressed against the underlying bone and cartilage. This is not necessarily always the case but can contribute to a less than optimal result. I would follow-up with your surgeon or another in your area to seek their advice. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry for the experience BUT I do understand that you DID not follow your doctors advise and did something that could effect the final results> I would now seek another boarded surgeon's opinion (PAID) for follow up care since your doctor (which you named in previous postings) has "fired" you so to speak... 

Nasal taping

Nasal taping is typically used to keep swelling to a minimum during the postoperative period. It is usually better for the doctor to demonstrate how to apply the tape so it is not being done incorrectly. If the tape has fallen off, it will unlikely affect your final result. However, you might notice some increased swelling that is transient. I would encourage you to contact your rhinoplasty surgeon again to schedule an appointment as it is imperative throughout the healing phase for you to follow up regularly. Best of luck.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon