So much pain after Voluma derma filler in the jaw, chin and swelling in my neck. Could I be allergic to it?

I had voluma injected in acne scars in my cheeks . I have been I. The worst pain ever along my jaw line and I'm red and swollen and it travels to my chin and under my chin is all swollen by my throat and toward the left side of my neck and jaw area . I thought it might of been an infection it was warm and red and swollen and painful so I have been taking antibiotic and it's not helping . My doctor said to take Advil for the inflammation and pain it's not really helping am I allergic to it . Help

Allergies to Hyaluronic fillers such as Juvederm are extremely rare.  I am more worried about an infection or the filler clogging or pressing on a structure causing the pain and swelling.  You need to see an expert injector to have everything evaluated.  You will need to be examined, and they will need to know the time frame of the evolution of your problems.  Good luck!

Voluma injections and pain

What you are describing is not normal and I would definitely seek another opinion. Perhaps you have an infection that the antibiotic is not treating.  Please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

Could I be allergic to Voluma?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your symptoms.  Voluma is a very thick gel of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body.  Because of this it is unlikely to move from its place of injection or cause an allergic reaction.  That said, your symptoms are unusual and deserve an in-person evaluation to diagnose and then treat what may be taking place.  This seems outside of any normal swelling and needs to be investigated by your injector.  

Painful Voluma

I would make sure either my doctor examines the area or I might consider a second opinion.  Theoretically, you should not be allergic to Voluma and in my experience, it is not a painful procedure.
I would be interested to know how long it took from the injection time to the pain and swelling.

Please make sure you have this checked in person.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist