How should I care for behind ear incisions after face and neck lift? They feel itchy and irritated.

Just a little over two weeks post opt, very itchy and irritated feeling? Using perioxide and antibiotic ointment 2 times a day.

How should I care for behind ear incisions after face and neck lift? They feel itchy and irritated

The post-op instructions should be always given by your operating Surgeon. Without pics- it is impossible to say. The quality of the neck lift is directly related to the position and length of the incision behind the ear. Often, when a large amount of skin from this area is removed - the neck will look much improved. 

Care of wounds after facelift

Of course,  you should do what your surgeon suggests.   The phenomena you describe sounds like allergy to the topical antibiotics.   I prefer  patients do a gentle shower and baby shampoo around suture lines as a care regimen.  I ask patients to do this once or twice a day for the first 2 weeks.  Unless there is an actual open wound topical antibiotics are unnecessary I feel.   This has worked for me  and my patients for many years.  Rarely, if ever, have I seen allergy to baby shampoo.   Incidentally, for the hair itself, any shampoo a person is used to is fine.   The baby shampoo is just for the incision area itself.   In addition avoid peroxide.  Peroxide is harsh and will kill healing cells  My Best,  Dr C

Caring for Your Face + Neck Lift Incisions

Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions on the specifics of caring for your face and neck lift incisions as part of your post-op recovery. Some rules that you should be sure to implement, still, are keeping the incisions regularly clean, avoid direct exposure to sunlight and frequently applying a sunblock with an SPF of at least 30 before going outdoors, and incorporating foods high in protein and anti-oxidants. Try your best to be as patient as possible with your healing incisions and be sure to schedule regular visits with your surgeon to ensure that your recovery is proceeding as planned. 

Facelift Care post-operatively

During tour pre-operative visit your plastic surgeon should have provided you instructions verbally along with written instructions for post operative care. These instructions should have been shared again with you and your caregiver the morning after our surgery when you were released for the surgical facility. I see my patients often in the days and weeks after surgery. We understand that although we take a lot of time with instructions that you may need more guidance. However, the only plastic surgeon who should give you direction about managing incisions post-operatively is your own plastic surgeon. Call the office right away and I'm sure they will be happy to see you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to care for itchy incisions behind the year after neck lift in facelift.

I agree your plastic surgeon should give you specific instructions rather than following Internet advice.

That said at 2 weeks your incisions are still healing.  My concern is that I did an proximal side may be irritating the incisions further.  Mild itching can be a sign of wound healing.

You need to have your plastic surgeon examine your incisions and advise you accordingly.  Generally speaking I like the incisions to dry and avoid wet treatments.

If at 3-4 weeks your incisions have closed but become red, raised, itchy, and the lumpy you may be developing hypertrophic scars.  Often topical applications of steroids can improve this process.  In some cases were hypertrophic scars are extreme the non-ablative 1540 fractional erbium laser can be helpful.  In rare cases steroid injections are used.  However it need not worry about these things at your early stage in recovery.

Incision care

Incision care protocols differ among surgeons. I am a minimalist. I prefer just showers and ointment. The less "handling" of the wounds, the better in my opinion. Your surgeon know what he/she did for you and what care works best in his/her patients, so I would follow those instructions.Most scars will do fine pretty much no matter what.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Facelift incision should be Cleaned and lubricated.

Specific one instructions should come from your own surgeon. In general incision should be kept clean and lubricate. Avoid rubbing are scratching

Itchy incisions

Facelift incision care differs among surgeons. If this itching is tremendously bothersome then ask your surgeon to recommend or prescribe something to combat this. 

Face lift incisions itching behind ears

Thank you for your face lift question.
  • The incisions behind the ears are always the most annoying,
  • What you are doing is what a lot of people do - but it may not be the best way to heal.
  • Peroxide will kill healing cells and dry out your tissues - 
  • Antibiotic ointment can cause resistant bacteria and allergies and slows the healing of open wounds.
  • So first ask your plastic surgeon what s/he recommends for you and if it's no different - try this:
  • Wash gently behind the ears with warm, not hot water twice a day.
  • Apply a thin layer of aquaphor to any healed skin
  • Cover any open areas with a moist gauze.
  • Best wishes.

Surgical Incision care following face surgery

2 weeks after a facelift incision, the dynamic changes of healing call for inflammation. This maybe the reason for the itchiness and irritation. It could also be a developing infection.
Please see your surgeon to evaluate and make his recommendations.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS