How to Flatten Keloid Scars from Biopsy Incision?

I have a Keloid from me having a biopsy. I was wondering if you have any recommendations as to how it can be flattened out instead of being on top of my skin or reduce the appearance of it?

Doctor Answers 4

Reducing and treating keloid scars from mole removal or biopsy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great question.  Sometimes keloids can occur as a result of a surgical procedure.  I would recommend that you begin early treatment with pulsed dye laser, IIT, and pressure treatment to reduce the keloid scar and reduce recurrence of the scar.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Scar from a biopsy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I assume the biopsy was necessary to find out what was going on and be happy that you got some answers. The scar should respond nicely to an injection or two. You can find a dermatologist who would be more than happy to help you get rid of this.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid at biopsy site

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a true keloid froma  biopsy site, and it is small, then I would start off only using intralesional injection of steroids to see how it responds.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

Intralesional corticosteroids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Typically we have a hypertrophic scar which is confined to the area of the surgical site rather than a keloid which is large and extends beyond the area of the surgical scar.  The normal treatment for the hypertrophic scar is intralesional corticosteroids sometimes with 5 flurouracil or the pulse-dye laser.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.