Flabby Wrinkly Neck After Losing Weight, How Can I Fix It?

I am 47 and in the process of losing weight and notice that my neck/throat is flabby and I am developing longitudinal wrinkles. I've been fortunate never to have had much in the way of wrinkles before, but these are deep and I find it hard to accept them. Is my only option surgery and how much of an improvement can I hope for? I'm currently using Bio-oil and massage, no improvement so far:-(

How to Tighten Flabby Neck Skin

Age, sun damage, smoking and weight gain will all cause loss of elasticity in your neck as well as facial skin.  As you lose weight this “stretched out” skin will start to become apparent.  In 30 years of plastic surgery I have never seen any of the over the counter home remedies help tighten the skin of the neck to any significant degree.  Even many of the devices we have such as laser are not all that helpful.

Non-surgically, the two things that I have seen that will tighten neck skin are aggressive micro-needling and medium depth chemical peels like the VI peel and Croton oil peel. 

Surgically, a neck lift or lower facelift will work very well to remove the excess skin, tighten the neck and take care of other problems that often come with saggy neck skin, like loss of a good jaw line, neck bands, the turkey neck waddle and jowls.  It is not as invasive a procedure as many think as the down time is only about 4 to 7 days and short scars can be used to minimize the invasiveness.  It can also be done with local anesthesia or twilight anesthesia.

I hope that helps and if it does, please take a moment to up vote this answer on the “respond” button on the top right.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Neck TIghtening options

If you have a very mild amount of skin under the chin, sometimes nonsurgical options such as kybella, CO2 laser, or Ultherapy can help.  Most individuals who lose significant amount of weight in a short period of time have considerable amounts of skin excess in the neck that do not respond to these modalities.  The quality of the skin after rapid weight loss usually necessitates surgery. 

Though neck lifting may sound like the obvious choice, since you've lost volume in the face and neck, you will most likely need a minifacelift at the least to tighten areas above the neck that maybe sagging into the neck.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Firming Options

Thanks for sharing. Current neck rejuvenation treatments:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and get you the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck lifting.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Lower face and neck lift with local anesthesia

Fluctuation in weight and massive weight loss will lead to premature aging of face and neck. Based on your description, you're a good candidate for a lower face and neck lift. This procedure can be preformed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Treatment for Flabby Neck after weight loss

Bio Oil and Massage will not help your neck appearance.
Depending on the degree of excess neck skin will determine the best approach ranging from a modified facelift (mini lift), neck lift only to a full traditional facelift with or without platysmal plication.

For most I have been able to use a mini lift such as the MACS lift, Lite Lift and others will improve both the lower face(jawline) as well as the neck. A necklift mainly focuses on the neck. The best value and quickest recovery time in my experienced is from a mini-lift procedure. For more extensive turkey waddle problems there is no substitute for a traditional facelift/necklift procedures.

An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck appearance. In particular there are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated:
1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection.

Traditional liposuction removes excess fat superficial to the platysmal muscle. A neck lift is able to remove fat both above and below the platysmal muscle and tighten it; this will give a more defined jaw/neck line. .The lax skin in your upper neck can be approached directly by a less invasive facelift in the mini-face lift such as the MAC or Lite Lift procedures. The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Always go to a board certified plastic surgeon with great experience in neck and face lifting.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Loose neck skin

Loose skin in the neck is common with aging or after large amounts of weight has been lost. You can look into skin care treatments, such as peels, but it won’t have as noticeable an effect as a face/neck lift. A surgical procedure generally will provide the best results. Contact a Board Certified surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery who offers neck and face lifts to schedule a consultation for the best aesthetic result!

David R. Broadway, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You've lost the weight. Now it's time to lose the excess skin on your neck.

Weight loss is an exceptionally desirable result. Patients who have dedicated themselves to improving their overall health and  increasing their well-being with weight loss will notice many improvements in their quality of life. These include but are not limited to increased energy level increased libido increased sex drive increased satisfaction with relationships as well as oneself.  However one of the  negative side effects from massive weight loss is the revolving position or readjustment of volume within the face. Loss of volume throughout the body will also result in loss of volume in one's face. The resultant change in the vector of pull on the skin will  result in a downward vector of the skin as a result of gravity. The stretched out skin now it no longer supported by the volume of fat in the face or neck will hang and be more dependent. This results in a more aged and tired appearance. No amount of topical creams or even lazer treatment or micro needling or derma planning will improve this condition. 

To address their excess skin which has developed over time as a response to the volume of fat in the face and neck redistribution of the existing underlying muscles and fashion and then subsequent redraping of the overlying skin with small incisions in front of the year that extend around behind the year will allow a repositioning of the soft tissues and an overall rejuvenation and youthful appearance of the face and neck. 

Congratulations on your huge accomplishment of weight loss. Now enjoy the fruits of your labor and if conditions are optimal for you, proceed with a neck and face lift to help you achieve the final results of your spectacular recovery. 

R. Brannon Claytor, MD, FACS
Bryn Mawr Plastic Surgeon

A neck lift works well to tighten loose skin

Significant weight loss, especially in older men and women, is often accompanied by loose, sagging excess skin. A neck lift would likely be the best option for you to regain a smoother, more youthful-looking neck. While there are non-surgical means available, such as skin tightening or resurfacing lasers, these work best on minor signs of skin laxity. From your description, it sounds as though surgery would get you the best results. An in-person consultation is needed to say for sure, so I recommend visiting a board-certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your options are. I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Necklift After Losing Weight!

Thank you for your question.  Congratulation on your weight loss journey, unfortunately this can be the biggest contributors to loose skin around the neck as once the weight is lost, the skin often hangs loose and the platysma muscle have been stretched.  For some individuals, they lose the fat under the skin with weight loss but in others the stubborn fat remains under the chin no matter how much they diet or exercise, and as a result require cosmetic surgery.  Reading your directions it appears that a lower facelift and neck lift would be beneficial.  Most patients opt for my Concept Facelift and Neck lift which is performed under local anaesthetic, therefore reducing health risks and recovery time significantly.  No drains and bandages are used and there is minimal bruising and swelling.

Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have a consultation with so they can assess and advise.

All The Best!! 

Fix Flabby Wrinkled Neck After Weight Loss

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Wait at least 6 months to a year after you have lost all of your weight you plan to lose before having a procedure to tighten your neck.

A neck lift and possible muscle tightening (Platysmaplasty) is the preferred method for tightening neck skin after weight loss.

There are many non surgical methods out there-Thermage, LuxIR Deep, Titan, Ulthera etc. but they only achieve at best a 20 % result.

Be sure to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.