Can I Fix my Asymmetrical Eyes?

Most of the questions I found on here about facial asymmetry had to do with the jaw or eyelid. My eyes are the exact same shape and my eyelids are symmetrical (as far as I can tell anyway). But my eyes are not level. My right eyes sits higher than my left one by a about a fraction of a centimeter. Is there anyway to correct this?

Correction of Eye Asymmetry

Everyone of us is asymmetrical. We have asymmetrical eyes, mouths, breasts, arms, buttocks, legs and more. Correction of asymmetry is very challenging and almost universally impossible when it comes to most areas.

Having asymmetrical eye sockets (dystopia) is much more of an issue with severe facial injuries where the asymmetry is great and any improvement or lessening of the asymmetry is welcome. I seriously doubt that an ethical craniofacial surgeon would do the extensive operation required to move the orbit to correct a 1 mm difference. Risky, expensive and very likely worse than the original condition.

The Correction of Asymmetric Eyes

It's important to understand that it's normal to have minor degrees of periorbital asymmetry. Although your history is helpful, it's virtually impossible in this case to make a specific diagnosis without pictures or a physical examination. Based on your history, I suspect you have asymmetry of the boney orbits.

Unfortunately, this type of asymmetry can't be fixed without a major surgical procedure that operates on the underlying facial skeleton. The risks of this type of procedure aren't justified by the minimal aesthetic improvements that can be anticipated.

It's important to emphasize that some facial asymmetry is normal and contributes to each patient's uniqueness. If you continue to be concerned about your asymmetry, it's reasonable to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to reassure you and alleviate your anxiety.

Eyelid surgery and correction for asymmetry

#eyelidsurgery and correction for asymmetry
Of all the features on our faces, our eyes are the most prominent indicators of our mood, energy level, and youth. 
Am I a candidate for Eyelid Surgery?
Patients who would benefit from a blepharoplasty include those who experience:
Asymmetry of the eyelids. this may also be caused by brow position or fat content

Difficult to determine without photographs

Thank you for the question. Your eyelid issue could be the cause of numerous conditions which cannot be determined without photos or in office consultation. You should see an eyelid surgery specialist for consultation to evaluate the asymmetry and discuss if treatment is possible. 

Asymmetrical eyes

What you have described is either hyperglobus (eyeball pushed up; e.g. from a tumor) or hypertropia (eye is not aligned vertically with the other one). The causes are numerous, and range from benign to serious. You should go have a thorough orbital and strabismus assessment. Eye movement testing, globe position eyes (exophthalmometry), cover/uncover testing, and possibly imaging (like CT scan), among others things, may be necessary.  

Jeremiah P. Tao, MD
Irvine Oculoplastic Surgeon

Assymetric eyelids

It's sounds as if you are describing ptosis of one eyelid or a droopy lid compared to the other. Correction of this lifts one eyelid surgically to make it symmetric with the other.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can't correct all asymmetries

It shoulds like your asymmetry is related to bone structure. You likely have asymmetry of you eye sockets. Sometimes differences in the eye sockets can be result of accidents and trauma and can be severe enough to cause double vision. In these rare cases, surgery may correct it. But in your case a mild cosmetic symmetry, the solution is much worse than the problem. Besides, you are probably the only one who notices and not obvious to other people.