Does a Facelift Also Include the Eyes and Neck?

I always assumed that a "facelift" meant the entire face,including the eyes, neck cheeks, jowls, etc. But reading these, I get the impression that it's all separate and could add up to a small fortune (not to mention finding the right doctor to do it all). Am I right in this and what is ballpark cost in LA area for the whole enchilada? And it also seems like a very difficult task finding a reputable certified plastic facial surgeon here.

Facelift cost

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are absolutely correct. The pricing of a faceluft can be broken down in such a way to make it quite costly.  I call this a la carte pricing.  In my opinion, a facelift includes the neck, but not the eyelids.  Separating out the face and neck to make it more costly is called unbundling, but the practice is not at all uncommon.  You are wise to pick up on this.

Does a Facelift Also Include the Eyes and Neck? Facelift Addresses Lower to Mid Face and Sometimes Neck

A facelift (rhytidectomy) generally addresses the lower face, including the jowls, and the midface. In my practice, I almost always include a neck lift with plastysmaplasty (tightening the neck muscles) as part of a rhytidectomy, but this varies by practice. Surgeries to address the top of the face, including the eyes and brow, are separate procedures. If you are having multiple procedures done at the same time, you can sometimes work out a package price.

There are many reputable and wonderful facial plastic surgeons in the LA area. I trained in Beverly Hills with Dr. Paul Nassif of “Botched” and “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” and Dr. Babak Azizzadeh – both of whom are internationally recognized as excellent surgeons. You may also consider traveling for your surgery. Because a facelift requires a recovery period of at least two weeks, patients often take the opportunity to go somewhere new and recover in private. You can get ballpark estimates of cost by using this site, but your best bet is to start over-the-phone and/or in-person consultations to find an expert you feel comfortable with. I hope this helps.

Does a Facelift Also Include the Eyes and Neck

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
It is possible to #combine #surgeries. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result. The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed.
It is extremely important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Face lift will not include the eyes

Thank you for the question.  A "face lift" will not include the eye lids or eyebrow as part of the facial rejuvenation process.  It typically involves repositioning and tightening of the facial soft tissue which addresses the cheeks, jowls, and neck.  Obtain several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and get their assessment and opinion on how to achieve your facial rejuvenation goal.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rys included in "face"lift

Neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead  are ot part of the facelift. The facelift is from cheekbones down and including neck. Some include lipo and other do not.

Facelift Definition

Each practice has a different definition of a facelift.  Neck Lift and Blepharoplasty generally are distinct procedures which may be done at the same time as a basic facelift. Before proceeding with surgery, it is important for the surgeon to clearly define what he/she is planning to do so you can provide proper consent.

Face lift terminology

Although some surgeons and patients use the term 'full face lift' to describe procedures on the entire face, most surgeons use the term face lift (facelift) to describe a procedure that primarily addresses the lower face and neck.

If you really want to break it down here is a list of procedures that are typically done to address the aging face

1. Brow lift (aka forehead lift)
  2. Upper blepharoplasty (aka upper eyelid lift)
  3. Lower blepharoplasty (aka lower eyelid lift)
  4. Midface lift (aka cheek lift)
  5. Face & Neck lift (aka facelift, face lift
  6. Mini face lift ( a mini version of #5)

Facelift?

"Facelifting"  generally refers to facial rejuvenation of the face and neck area. Forehead (brow) lifting  refers to rejuvenation surgery of the  forehead area and blepharoplasty refers to surgery of the eyelids.

Costs of these procedures will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

What does a facelift include?

Researching facelift procedures can be confusing. Many surgeons use different terminology and there are many techniques used to address facial rejuvination.

The face is typically divided into vertical thirds with the forehead and brow representing the upper third, the eyes and cheeks the middle third, and the jawline and neck the lower third. Everybody ages differently. Some people age more rapidly in the lower face and neck and the midface and brow/forehead region look fine. You really need to evaluate which part of your face bothers you the most and emphasize this when you consult with a surgeon. It is possible to perform a lower third facelift which typically includes a neck lift as well. If your eyes show significant signs of aging you can have a blepharoplasty done as well but this is a separate procedure. A brow lift is separate from a facelift as well although it can be combined with a facelift.

There really is no ballpark figure. It all depends on which areas you want to address and the surgical options available. Lower facelifts can range from 5000-10,000 dollars. Lower face/mid-face/and browlift with blepharoplasty can range anywhere from $25,000 up.

It is important that you have a comprehensive analysis by an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can give you a thorough breakdown of every area that is to be addressed and how it is going to be addressed. If you are confused get a second opinion and see if the opinions are similar. Typically, if you have agreeing opinions from reputable surgeons you can be confident that you are making the right decision. Remember, it is your face, take your time, do as many consultations as necessary to feel comfortable.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does a Face Lift always include the eyes and neck?

No, I have performed Face Lifts for over 20 years and there are types of Face Lifts that do include the neck and those that do not.  The eyes have always been considered a separate area and procedure called Blepharoplasty or eye lift.  I think that you'll find experienced Face Lift surgeons will also be experienced performing Neck Lifts and Eye Lifts.