Can I have a facelift even though I had facial fillers in my cheeks and nasal folds?

I have had fillers in my cheek and nasal folds. Can I still get a facelift? If so, when the cheeks start to lose volume, will it be very noticeable? I am trying to stay away from any more fillers.

Facelifts and Fillers are Friends, not Enemies

In our New Jersey plastic surgery practice, we used facelift and fillers all the time in the same patient.  The facelift is meant to lift up skin that has sagged over time.  Fillers are used to restore volume that has disappeared over time.  As such, they enhanced each other's results, and usually is no reason to avoid fillers in a facelift patient.

It is important to discuss your needs, wishes, recovery time constraints, and budget limits with an honest and experienced surgeon, and receive bias-free personal advice. ALWAYS consult a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, to ensure the highest standards of ethical practice and safe surgery.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS
American Board of Plastic Surgery
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery

Facelift and fillers

Fillers and skin tightening procedures such as a facelift are often combined to give excellent results. A properly done facelift repositions the facial fatty tissues and tightens loose, wrinkled skin. It's greatest effect is in the lateral face and under the neck. Fillers add volume to deflated tissues, and have their best effect in the central areas of the face such as the nasolabial folds, lips and chin. So, facelift and fillers work hand-in-hand to produce total facial rejuvenation. If you like the result of your temporary cheek filler, longer lasting volume can be added when the filler dissolves through using your own body fat. I often use fat grafting at the time of the facelift to restore permanent volume in the central face, chin and lips. 

Facelift with Cheek Filler

Thank you for your question.  A facelift  can still be performed when filler is in the cheeks and nasal folds, however I was always suggest taking the filler out or waiting for it to dissolve.  Filler adds volume to an area therefore once the volume has been taken away there will be less volume.  Facelift and fillers work hand in hand to produce a complete facial rejuvenation, however facelift then fillers to add volume would ensure lasting longing results.Please find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.All The Best 

Facelift After Fillers

Yes you can have a facelift after having fillers in your cheeks and nasolabial folds. When the filler goes away there will be a little less volume. You can have fat transferred during or after your facelift for more permanent #facialrejuventation. I typically perform fat transfer as part of my facelift procedure whether traditional or a mini scar technique (most common). The reason is that part of the aging process is loss of fat in the temples and cheek regions which varies from person to person. There is a limit of how much fat can be safely injected into one area. The amount of fat that remains over time is variable from patient to patient. For some patients, more fat or other fillers may need to be transferred in a subsequent surgery to maintain or supplement the desired results.The survival of fat transfer (lipoinjection) is highly technique sensitive so choose the plastic surgeon with the most experience in this technique. See the below links for added details.

Facelift after previous fillers in cheeks and NLF

It is not uncommon to do both a facelift after fillers were placed previously. It all depends on the patient. Some patients need lifting of tissues, some need excess skin taken off, some need volume. Speak at length with your experienced surgeon. Let him/her know what has been dome previously. Share with him/her your goals. Together you will come up with a plan.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Facelift with fillers

Yes, you can definitely have a face lift after having fillers.
The fillers pose no problem for the surgery.
A mid-face lift can be done to raise the cheek tissue, minimizing the need for future filler.
You will still need to have future fillers of some kind (fat, Juvederm, Voluma) because one effect of aging is loss of facial volume. Best wishes.

You should be able to have a facelift, depending on how much filler is in your cheeks. If it is a large amount of filler (2cc or more per cheek) I'd wait until it is mostly absorbed before a facelift procedure. Most surgeons prefer to use your own fat in your cheeks at the same time as the facelift. Fat is typically much longer lasting.

William J. Vasileff, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Can I have facelift after having fillers injected?

Yes, in fact many patients utilize fillers and injectables prior to their decision to have a facelift.  Fillers address deep folds in the skin or lack of volume in areas of the face.  A facelift will correct excess skin and sagging in the lower face and neck.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to explore your options.

Can I have a facelift even though I had facial fillers ?

The answer is yes.  You can still have a facelift even though you have fillers. It would be difficult to say if the loss of volume would be very noticeable without seeing the area.  A facelift addresses laxity of skin mainly in the jowls and neck area. The fillers will add volume in the nasal folds, cheeks and lips.  The two combined complement each other in facial rejuvenation often giving excellent results. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with elite credentials in facial surgery to determine what will give you the results you are looking to achieve.

Facelift and Fillers

You can have a facelift with fillers.  The key is that the surgeon knows how your face approximately looks without filler present.  This will allow the surgeon to design the appropriate type of facelift as well as possibly incorporate fat transfer if necessary.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon