Temple Wounds After Face and Temple Lifts

Had a facelift and temple lift 6 weeks ago by a Board Certified Surgeon. I would like the opinions of other certified surgeons, based on this 6 week photo will I heal with no visible scarring in the temple area? I am nervous and scared. Will this need to be revised? Similar scenario on the right side too.

Your healing in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). When the skin is separated from the underlying tissues during surgery, small sensory #nerves are cut. Varying degrees of numbness will be present after surgery and will improve gradually as the nerves reconnect to the skin. This process can take from 2-6 months for face, neck and cheeks, and to 9-12 months for the forehead and scalp. Muscle weakness may also be present around the mouth especially if liposuction is used. This typically recovers fully in the months after surgery. 

Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.
The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

I am not sure how those wounds occurred

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I am unsure how those wounds occurred.  If they are thermal wounds there might be more of a visible long term scar.  I would wait until all healing is done and reassess at that time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Forehead Wounds after Facelift and Temple Lift

I recommend you get a second opinion to evaluate your forehead scars. The wounds should improve, but  ask if anything should be done at this time.

Abnormal temple scars

That's an abnormal degree and location of skin irregularity after a forehead/temple lift.  While it is true that wounds remodel for months, I would be suspicious that you will have some permanent irregularity there.  Follow up with your primary surgeon to get a better explanation and time frame, and if you are not satisfied with the answers, seek a seccond opinion. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Mayer is very diplomatic

Unfortunately for the public, being a board certified plastic surgeon is only a guarantee that your surgeon has had very solid training and their knowledge base has been evaluated by peers.  It is not a guarantee that they have been trained to perform whatever particular surgeon you are having.  Being exposed to something in training is not the same thing as being competent to perform in your case a forehead lift.  

It is not entirely clear precisely how your forehead was traumatized during surgery.  However, no this is not a normal 6 week result.  Yes in time these areas will look much better, but clearly you will have some time of scar in this area.  I will encourage you to get a second opinion.  However, the best course here is allowing this area to heal as fully as possible before considering what is needed next.  The reason for this is that the body does have amazing powers to heal and what looks down right awful now may only need minimal repairs in a year.  However, it may be the case that the area needs some management and possibly you could use some hyaluronic acid filler to improve the appearance of this area while you are waiting for it to fully heal.

Temple wounds after temple lift.

You should not have this look after a temple lift. I would see an experienced facelift surgeon for a second opinion and to determine if this is going to end up scarring or will resolve without surgery.